Friday, November 12, 2010

An eggceptional morning!

Egg retrieval went great! I'm lounging here on the couch with our laptop. Sitting straight up is not so comfy, so I'm trying to stay horizontal for the most part today. Gertie and I took a nice nap together as soon as I got home. Nurse hub is being great of course, bringing me water, food, pills, and chick flicks. It's weird being home though - I keep thinking it's Saturday.

The funniest thing this morning was that once I was in my lovely hospital gown, cap, and booties and all IV'd up, they brought back my husband. Except that he was NOT my husband. Apparently they called for a "Scott" out in the waiting room and some other Scott jumped up first. The nurse entered my room first and goes, "and here he is!" I was like, "uh, yeah, that's not my Scott." And I'm sure after taking one look at me in all my hospital glory, he was thinking, "yeah that's NOT my wife - thank God!" Hahahaha...

I had never been to the surgical center before at RBA. Both of my surgeries with Dr. T were actually at hospitals (Northside and then Piedmont) for insurance purposes, so I'd never had a procedure done up there before. It's in the same building as the clinic, but up a couple of floors. It's weird because you get off the elevator and it looks like any nice office building. Waiting room looks pretty normal. But then you go through some doors in the back and suddenly you're in a full-on hospital. Bizarre. So after talking with the nurses, Dr. T, and the anesthesiologist, it was finally time to head to the OR. One of the nurses actually walked me down there with my IV stand while I held my gown tight so I didn't expose my buns. Once in the OR, they had me sit down on the table, slowly lay down and then started my sleep-tight druggies. I don't remember when I fell asleep exactly... all I remember is waking up and wanting to keep sleeping!

I was in recovery for maybe 30 minutes. One of the nurses asked me if I was sure I hadn't grown feathers and started clucking, because they retrieved FORTY eggs! 4-0! We of course don't know yet how many of those were mature, but 40 - wow! Dr. T also said the hub gave a fabulous specimen, so yay us! There's definitely a big party in a petri dish going on right now. We'll get the call tomorrow by 1pm with the fertilization report! We were also told that they'll probably freeze some actual eggs (in addition to embryos) since there were so many. Maybe I should start selling those puppies! Haha...

So now I'm just resting up this weekend and getting prepared for the transfer in 3-5 days. They will go ahead and schedule me for a day 3 transfer (Monday), but if possible they will hold off till day 5 - which is ideal. I start my progesterone and baby aspirin tomorrow. Then my estrogen patch a few days later. The transfer next week is the last big step and then it's pretty much a wait-n-see kinda thing. So glad to make it this far with such good results! Uterus, it's now your turn to work it. Get ready!

11 comments:

Stacee said...

So exciting! The surgery center at RBA is pretty awesome! I can't believe they got so many eggs, that's amazing!!

Unknown said...

OMG! That's a lot of eggs girl!!! Rest up and feel better! This is an exciting time. :) XOXO!!!!

Julie Tiemann said...

All I can say is, I can see why your pants were so tight!!! Forty is INSANE! When I think about how my body feels when I'm producing ONE (I'm one of those people who gets insanely bad cramps when I'm ovulating), I can't imagine how your body and emotions must have felt!

Party on!!

Sasha said...

40! That sounds fabulous! Love your story about the hubby mixup!

godmommie said...

No, you've got to be kidding - 40 - Holy Cow!! That is so awesome and there were probably at least 1,000,0000,000 swimmers - the odds look good to me. Take care this weekend. I can't wait to hear the next report! Love you, Godmommie

Natalie at Our Old Southern House said...

that's awesome!
you and me--you have a wonky uterus and i have a wonky 1/2 ovary that never can ovulate. but man, i have one heck of a good lining. if only they could combine mine and your girly parts...we'd be a baby-making MACHINE! HA!

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

OMG that is hilarious about the wrong hub! Take it super easy this weekend. So proud of my favorite little chicken- cluck cluck!

Susan said...

I have been following along quietly but just wanted to say that 40 eggs is amazing and I am thinking all the best for you guys!!

Susan D. said...

WOW is right. That is wonderful news and I am wishing you all the best.

Sandra said...

Wonderful, wonderful news!! xoxo

Ruth said...

40! Wow that is great. I hope all goes well next week.