Monday, November 29, 2010

My googling is out of control!

Somebody stop me!  I know I shouldn't do it, but here I am in a self-diagnosing google tornado.  This morning was my blood test and we of course were expecting a big fat negative.  Well, don't get excited, but Dr. T called me with a teeny tiny positive.  My beta was at 14, which is *technically* positive (anything over 5 is considered positive), but that is very, VERY low.  He is thinking that this is most likely another chemical pregnancy.  But he wants me to stay on my meds (progesterone and estrogen) for now and take another blood test Wednesday morning to see where my levels are then. 
 
So of course now I'm in a downward spiral of googling things like "successful pregnancies with low initial beta."  And I'm left thinking things like, oh dear God, is this an ectopic pregnancy?  I found like a million things saying that was a very possible outcome here.  Well, whatever.  I guess this wimpy positive gives us an itty bitty glimmer of hope.  Itty.  Bitty.  But hey, I'll certainly play along and do my part.  So yes, I guess that little chance is exciting, but we're already kinda at peace here with the negative and just ready to move on.  So it brings mass confusion.
 
Argh.
 
So much for my red wine and chocolate fest tonight!  I know I'm grasping at straws here, but has anyone had a ridiculously low beta initially and gone on to have a full-term pregnancy?  Just curious.  I know the growth of the numbers is ultimately more important than the numbers themselves, but still... 14 is off-the-charts low.  (I'm 12dp5dt - to those of you that speak my language.)

13 comments:

katherinebee said...

Praying for you! So stressful, but all of your work will pay off. And hey - a little positive is still positive!

Unknown said...

Google can be a dangerous thing! Try to just take a deep breath and realize that this is at least a bit of hope! Love you honey!

Dr. Blondie said...

I just had a chemical pregnancy earlier this month. My initial beta was 43 at exactly two weeks after my IUI. But, my friend who did IVF had an initial beta of 30 (? - if it was even that high - not sure how many days past transfer that was) and she now has a baby girl. Also, with my friend, her betas didn't double at first like they should, but eventually they did and her pregnancy worked out.

The bottom line here is you never know. Have hope! And good luck!!!!

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

Well we've already talked but just in case you forget...LOVE you and saying lots of big prayers!

Natalie at Our Old Southern House said...

i don't know if i had a "beta" or what.....but hcg was 365 16 DPO with MM if that helps...
good luck and god bless!!

Julie Tiemann said...

Oh geez, roller coaster of emotions, much?! You poor thing! Praying that baby might still be sticking, but for peace no matter what... And stop googling!!!! ;)

Leslie said...

Argh!!! Too many emotions, thoughts and wishes going on...stop googling! Thinking about you and saying lots of baby prayers.

Anne said...

Praying for peace as you wait on an answer!

Lee Ann said...

At 12 dp IUI my hcg was 20 and at 14dp IUI it was 35. Due to low and non-doubling #'s my doctor said that it was likely a chemical pregnancy. That was December of 2003, and I went on to enjoy the holidays:-). To my surprise at the first of the year my hcg was 7500. I went on to have a normal and successful pregnancy and my daughter was born in August of 2004.

My fingers are crossed for you and my prayers are with you. I think it's more important if the #'s double rather than where they start out.

BroncoMom said...

Keep the faith Betty :)

Anonymous said...

FX'd for you! I understand the worry and lack of self discipline with Dr. Google. I get it! Hopefully Wednesday's beta will let you know exactly what you are dealing with. (((hugs)))

Emily said...

I had a few ectopics (all on my own, not from IVF...we could get pregnate-d easily but we had a really hard time getting them to stick. So, its absolutely not the same thing but I am quite familiar with beta hcg's) my levels were always high (more than 400) but then just stayed the same (never doubled, just stagnated). With my son, who is 10 months old today, my hcg was low (less than 50) and climbed VERY slowly (we thought it was another ectopic) but then, for whatever reason it sky rocketed. Literally overnight it tripled.

Also, my bff had twins from IVF and she was told it was chemical but alas- they were just late bloomers!

I hope and pray that the little beanie in your belly grows and thrives...and for today you should go pee on like 100 sticks just to see the wonderful positive! Also, stay away from Dr. Google!!

Karen said...

New to your blog. I'm recently pregnant and know my doctor was most concered to see if the numbers were doubling. Google can be dangerous I usually end up more paranoid. Hope you get some good news this week.