Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Overwhelmed.

IVF is hella confusing, y'all.  We went ahead and ordered my meds this weekend thinking we'd immediately move forward with this IVF cycle.  But we still have so many questions as far as how to pay (cycle by cycle vs. pre-paying for multiple cycles on a plan), what the heck I'm supposed to do with all these meds (I actually have to mix some of them before injecting - dear me!), and just lots of other "what if" type questions.  After a sit-down on Sunday with my parents (who are graciously helping us fund this process), we all decided the wise thing to do would be to sit out this cycle, get our ducks in a row, and proceed with IVF on the following cycle. 
 
I'm totally fine with that... there are many reasons why this is good.  One big one is that 10/15 is our last big deadline of the year at work and it'll be nice not having to worry about balancing work and baby-making during the next couple of weeks.  I certainly do not want to be stressed during this process!  But a month can seem like an eternity at times... I have my little spouts of impatience, like "ugh, let's just GO!" But on the other hand, I definitely do not want to charge forward without dotting all our I's and crossing all our T's.  And we're only talking one month.  We'll be in the throws of it all soon enough and we're very excited!  For now we're just trying to figure out what the hell we're doing.
 
One thing we do know?  This is stupid expensive.  A little word to the fertiles... next time you're in mixed company and feel like complaining about how expensive babies are... Don't.  (I say that with a loving stink eye.)

11 comments:

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

I think you made a wise decision. You will feel so much better when you have the full story of how things need to run before jumping right in.

Musewander said...

That's exciting though -- as scary and yes, costly, as it may seem -- it's a step in the right direction!

If you happen to be given a protocol including Lupron or Gonal-F, let me know... I have some left over from my last round, and would be happy to donate it to you... that stuff gets pricey fast!

Best of luck to you through your treatments -- will be praying that this round brings you a BFP!

Jill said...

I freaking love your blog. You always make me laugh out loud at least once. Your last line here, priceless. =)

Melissa said...

I think you're making a very smart decision. You will be able to get all of your questions answered and feel good about everything before you start. In the grand scheme of things, a month isn't a long time, especially when you've waited so long already, but I am the most impatient person in the world and I know how hard it is to wait :P I hope the first cycle works and you get pregnant!

Alicia said...

My husband and I have been TTC for over a year and just now starting the process of what steps we can take to get pregnant. You have no idea how appreciative I am of your openness in sharing the steps you are taking and the honesty with which you deliver it. I hope IVF is the final step for you; I look forward to reading about your pregnancy!! :)

Unknown said...

sounds like a wise choice Amanda...just take things one step at a time, and worry about figuring it out next month! You always know you made a good decision when you feel good about it! XOXO!

Loving my jeans and tennis shoes...especially together said...

Reading your posts make me want to not complain about anything kids relate. Instead I want to give each one of them a big kiss and appreciate how lucky I/we are.

Unknown said...

P.S> Thanks for the linked within tip...I added it and love it! You are like my blog-sensei!

Buford Betty said...

Musewander - Thank you!!! I do have Gonal-F on my protocol... I'm set for this first cycle but if I need more I may come callin'! Thanks so much. :)

Leslie said...

Thank you so much for being so open about everything you've gone through with the fertility process. Please know that you've helped people like me by sharing your story - not enough people in this world are open about this. I've been trying for almost three years, and have experienced many ups and downs - the entire process is emotionally and financially challenging, and it's even more difficult when the fertile people make all the ridiculous comments without thinking (ie it's easy to have a baby...). I also think it's much more challenging for the female going through this process - not only are you the one having to get all the tests/procedures done, but also the awareness of your body is a constant reminder (I know more about what's going on with my reproductive system than I've ever wanted to know!).
I'll be thinking of you and your husband as you all continue your journey, and bless your parents for all their love and support!

UGA Bama Belle said...

LOVE your statement to the fertiles. I think that same thing every time I hear one of them complaining about something.

We will be having the IVF talk at the end of this month/beginning of November. We're going through another IUI cycle first. I take Follistim injections with my IUI cycle, and the hCG has to be mixed before injecting - I hate that part!

Y'all are in my thoughts and prayers. I wish y'all lots of baby success with your first IVF cycle!