Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Shopping on Food Network's dime...

OK, I need ideas. I love to cook when the mood strikes, but I'm by no means an expert in the kitchen. Here's the deal... A check is arriving today for us to go buy the ingredients for this food challenge thingee. So we will be shopping tonight. With $400!

There are only two couples/teams in this challenge and we have no real guidelines on what to get. I do think this has some sort of holiday theme, as it will air sometime this year - but seriously - no real guidelines. I think the challenge is Iron Chef-ish, but I don't think there has to be one special "secret" ingredient. All the ingredients are a mystery to the two teams... but OMG - $400? And they want us to spend it all. I think we're going to go to a nicer grocery or farmer's market. I think I could probably buy all of Wally World for $400... hahaha.... That may be a normal grocery bill to some, but for us two -that's insane. So what the heck do I get?? I have no clue!!! I need rules! Guidelines! Ideas! Something! Like right now!!!


Update: So the only "guidelines" of any kind we've received so far... party food. Yep, that's it.

11 comments:

Lauren @ Adventures of a Southern Newlywed said...

Hmm... I would buy several types of fresh herbs and a few meat choices. Then I might go with a variety of fresh vegetables. I would also add butter, olive oil, cream, and chicken stock. This is tricky... I wonder if you will be limited to the items that you buy?

Mojito Maven said...

ok i clearly missed your earlier post but FOOD NETWORK IS COMING TO YOU HOUSE???????????

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I'm so jealous!!!

Gracie Beth said...

I would go to wally world and then assume that they wanted me to spend the rest of the $400 on a nice new outfit to wear on TV ;)

just a girl... said...

let me just say that I love food challenge. Your blog is freaking awesome glad I stumbled on it today.

Well I Do Declare said...

To add to what Lauren suggested, how about:

-puffed pastry dough
-jars of roasted red peppers
-cheeses
-wine
-chocolate
-nuts

That is about all I can think of... Please continue to update us :) This is so exciting!!!

Scarlet O'Kara said...

Make sure that you have several nice cheeses on hand, as well as some nice red and white wines. Fresh fruits and veggies as well as nice crusty breads. You can make many wonderful party foods with these. Plus if you get some nice cuts of meat...like pork and beef tenderloins.

I cannot wait to see what you purchased as well as what you created!

Angela said...

I really don't have any advice but I am SO INCREDIBLY JEALOUS! First the Food Network, next we will be reading about you on Perez!

funfavorites said...

We make this red ancho chilli, roasted turkey, cream cheese, havarti, roasted red pepper pannini that is to die for. Use a great artisian baguette and you could make them minis. It's great for fall and for cooler weather. They are always a huge hit. Good luck this is so exciting. My cousin was on an HGTV show and she loved it.

Molly said...

Sorry I didn't read this yesterday! For $400 you can stock up on so many great basics! Really good cuts of meat, seafood, oils, breads, vinegars, produce, nuts, cheeses, wine, great jarred stuff especially olives, fancy herbs and spices, and then get some staples like flour, eggs, milk, beans, stocks...

Etiquettely Correct said...

Fun!! I am always a fan of "comfort" party food. Can't wait to see pictures.

MMM said...

This is so cool! I can't wait to read more about it.