Thursday, March 13, 2008

Shopping in my closet.

Getting dressed for work is sometimes a challenge. I want to look cute. But I want to be comfortable. I feel the need to look super cute. But I'm in a hurry and does it really matter because all I do is sit behind my desk all day and crunch numbers... Well yeah the need for cuteness usually rules because I just *feel* so much better when I have on a great outfit - and especially a killer pair of heels. Plus the "fashion" (if you can call it that) in my industry is so drab and boring. Total snooze. When wearing grey instead of black is considered a fashion statement, you know it's bad. I, of course, don't play by those rules.

Anyway, so being that I'm on a total shopping hiatus right now, I have my fun by getting creative with stuff I already have and finding new ways to wear it all. I love putting a new spin on a piece I've had for years - it's almost like getting something totally new. Like this morning I randomly thought to throw on one of my old (probably 5+ years old) sleeveless sweaters over my 3/4 sleeved white button-up. It's not a sweater vest - it's definitely a spring or summer sweater. It has a bit of a bateau neckline. Actually it's the shell to a cardi set, now that I think about it. It's a pretty coral pink and it looks so cute over my white top against my grey pin-striped pants (also old) from J. Crew. I threw on some pearls and then dressed up my wrists with a bunch of silver chain bracelets. I even put on silver necklaces as bracelets. Top it off with my black patent heels and I am DAMN cute! Very menswear inspired - I love it. Yeah so I totally love putting together new combos. And to think I was about to add that sweater to my "ready to toss" pile...

And speaking of ready-to-toss, I am hosting a clothing swap next month. I mentioned wanting to do this a while back. I just sent out the evite a few days ago and I am so super excited! I can't wait to rummage through my closet! And I think it will be such a fun opportunity to get some cool new pieces. I love this idea because I've got stuff like bags and shoes especially that I don't necessarily want anymore but I don't want to just give them away to like Goodwill or something. I rather not throw my old Kate Spade bags in a trash bag and toss them on the back of a truck never to be seen again. I much rather see my girlfriends enjoy them! So I think a swap is great for that reason alone. I also have a bunch of jewelry that I just never wear that's perfectly good but I'm just not into anymore for whatever reason. So I told the girls to bring jewelry too - that should be fun! It should be a great time and if it goes well, I definitely plan to make it an annual or semi-annual event!

Alright... time to get back to work. So many things I rather be doing right now, but duty calls. Oh well - at least I look cute doing it, right?

2 comments:

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

You sound tres adorable!

Scarlet O'Kara said...

Love the idea of the swap. Might have to try that with my friends...