Monday, March 17, 2008

A peek in my "someday closet."

I told y'all earlier today about my productive weekend. I'm still so excited about all that I got done. So while going through all the junk that had accumulated in the nursery, I came across some fun stuff. First, my childhood bear, Lisa, who is NEVER to be thrown out! My dad got her for me in New York City when I was a baby. We've got pictures of me and Lisa together in my avacado green playpen. We go way back.




As you can see, she needs a little repair. Poor girl has been stitched up so many times!

I also came across both of my prom dresses and had a good laugh. Oh those were the days... This is my junior year prom dress. Made famous by Alotta Fagina in Austin Powers. (I totally wore it first though.)



And then here's my senior prom dress. Pretty killer, huh? Damn right, it is!



I mean, the midriff bearing lattice was so ahead of its time...



So you can really appreciate the effect, here's my mid-section alla 13 years ago...


I wish I had a better picture to show so you could fully take in those candy apple red acrylic nails!

Also buried back in my someday closet was my wedding dress. I still have yet to get the darn thing cleaned and preserved - how horrible is that?! Do I still have a chance of getting the stains out? It's been - eek - over 5 years! Did anyone else wait a long time to do this and still have success? It's been on the to-do list for years...





Anyway, so here is the FINISHED product - a newly restored someday closet! I can actually see the floor now, along with all my fun treasures!






Obviously I'm not looking to don my prom or wedding gowns again someday, but here is the bulk of my "someday" items...



Sweet little girl Lilly dresses. I got them all at Costco for stupid prices. Not all at once though. I'd get one here... two there... then I sorta just went nuts. They're timeless, so I'm not worried about whether or not *I* ever get to use them.

And then... yes... my maternity wardrobe. What started as a clearance piece here and there, turned into... an unhealthy obsession! No worries - I'm fully cognizant of my mental shortcomings.

Isn't it a fun closet? So colorful and happy! And CLEAN!!!!!!!!!

15 comments:

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

You are so silly! And I love it!!

You look H O T in that prom dress. And why are wrist corsages popular? Like what is the point of wearing itchy flowers on your wrist? They never match anything anyways.

Love the Lilly!!

Lauren @ Adventures of a Southern Newlywed said...

I have forgotten what a clean closet looks like. Thanks for the reminder!

I had no idea you could get Lilly at Costco! I need to check for Lilly when I am there.

Libby said...

Wow, your prom dress! Holy Smokes!

On a more serious note, thank you for sharing your Someday Closet. It's full of beautiful clothes and beautiful sentiments. :)

Buford Betty said...

Lauren - I've only seen the Lilly there once. I had heard a rumor that they had arrived so I darted over to Costco and grabbed a couple. I basically went Costco hopping throughout Atlanta to get as many as I could find. They went fast. I'm always keeping my eye out though when I'm there!

Scarlet O'Kara said...

Can you come over and organize my closets?

Suburban prep said...

I think that I am worse when it comes to the wedding gown. Come November it will be ten years since I wore the gown. It is in it's hanging bag and that is as far as it has gotten.

Jill said...

I've been married nearly 5 years and my wedding dress is still hanging in the dress back, neither cleaned nor preserved. Cute little Lilly dresses! And, I longed for a black prom dress but my mom insisted on "pastel" - blah.

tulipmom said...

My wedding dress is hanging in a garment bag in my parents' house. Hasn't been cleaned since I wore it over 10 years ago.

Thanks for letting us peek into your Someday closet.

Somewhere Between Pinot and Pacifiers said...

I always longed for the midriff-bearing lattice look but never found THE dress...hee hee! So funny to look back at what we wore. Cute dresses! I hope your someday closet will soon become a today closet!

LSU Melanie said...

I have a prom dress just like it only i had tulle in the middle section...hot stuff:) If you EVER want to borrow it, you are more than welcome....love your someday closet...I'm still praying for your someday..Happy Wednesday

Sarahviz said...

It has been almost 10 years that my wedding dress has been in a white storage bag. At this point, I'm scared to open it to see whether it has turned green or has been eaten by moths!

Steel Magnolia said...

Ummmm, my wedding dress is crumpled up in a bag in my parents guest room closet...and it's been almost 9 years...YIKES!

As Cape Cod Turns said...

Love looking at your clean closet! Funny that your prom dresses were black. My prom dress was deep pink and mauve! Yikes! With my blue eyeshadow, I was hot like a fox!

Tootsie Farklepants said...

No one should begrudge a pregnant woman optimum wardrobe selection! It's a rule.

Anonymous said...

I was wondering where you bought your Junior year prom dress? I have been looking for it. Thanks!