Saturday, March 15, 2008

Scary weather in the city.

Pic from MSN of damage at the CNN Center.


Tornado warnings were all over the news late last night for Atlanta and downtown got hit especially hard. You don't hear about tornado damage much in big cities - seems like they're always hitting more rural areas, doesn't it? So this is scary (OK not that it ever isn't) being in such a highly populated area. There was severe damage at Centennial Park, the CNN Center, Philips Arena, and the Dome - which are all right together. The SEC basketball championship was cancelled and apparently will resume - without fans - at Georgia Tech later (sorry SEC - I hate that y'all have to set foot on that campus). Apparently windows were shattering everywhere, cars were being slung around. And also a nearby mid-rise condo building (or maybe it's a high-rise - how many floors constitute a high-rise?) lost its roof and the top FOUR floors. Luckily that building was under renovation, so there was no one harmed. Though some injuries were reported, no deaths have been discovered - that's nothing short of amazing. I've got to check on all my city-dwelling friends and make sure they're OK. Here are some pics of the damage from the AJC...






Ouch.



One of those big lighted pole thingees in Centennial Park.


Philips Arena. Will my parents still get to see Barry Manilow later this month?




Some building on Marietta St. (I think).



All the windows on one side of the Omni Hotel were blown out. Talk about a wake-up call - scary!




More debris...



That was a billboard, I think.



That would be rainwater flowing down the (indoor) steps to the Congress Center.



Again - what a blessing that no one was killed! It was stormy up by us this morning but we didn't really see any of this mess last night. I think we're all ready for the sun to come back out!

5 comments:

Somewhere Between Pinot and Pacifiers said...

I heard about this! My brother in law's girlfriend is in ATL for a convention and called around 9:30 last night freaking out b/c all of the windows had blown out of where they were. Scary! Isn't more bad weather predicted today too? You take cover and be careful!!! :)

Some Like it Southern said...

How weird is that, a tornado in downtown ATL, crazy! Well, I am glad to hear that you are okay! Hope your friends are too!

Scarlet O'Kara said...

Glad to hear you are OK...

tulipmom said...

I'm very happy to hear you're alright.

As Cape Cod Turns said...

I did think of you (you are the only person I know living near Atlanta). So glad that you are ok! Loved your promo for Pottery Barn Teen, too. I also love their stuff!