Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Father's Day!

I hope you all enjoy a wonderful Father's Day and take time to celebrate the *dads* in your lives! This one is bitter sweet for me as we're missing our Gran. His legacy as a father and grandfather is one we'll never forget. He loved his wife and family more than life itself. Nothing gave him more pride than being a father. My grandparents were so great about journaling their life together. We have so many amazing videos and pictures, and here are a few oldies...


Gran and Mimi with their first son (my dad was #2). This was taken sometime in the early 40's.



Gran with his little sailor (my uncle again).



How cute that my Mimi dressed him up to match his daddy?!



And here's one of his last photos... and one of his last great inventions. He got a scooter and hitched the garbage can to it so he could get it out to the curb on garbage day. His neighbor always volunteered to do it, but Gran never wanted to "trouble" anyone else.


And of course I've had Tim Russert on my mind ALL weekend. Just can't seem to get him out of my head. Probably doesn't help that I've tivo'd the Friday night special, the special editions of the Today show both Saturday and today, and of course - Meet the Press, which is airing right now. Such a sad loss...

But today is also *sweet* of course! My parents are coming over for dinner tonight. I've got to get my booty to the grocery. We're doing shrimp kabobs on the grill. I ended up getting this great outdoor lantern for him - but I'm going to "embellish" it a little. I'll take pics. I hope it comes out as cute as it is in my head right now.

I believe the pups have a little something for their daddy too... Enjoy the day! :-)

7 comments:

Lauren @ Adventures of a Southern Newlywed said...

I hope you have a nice father's day!

Libby said...

What a nice tribute, the photos are beautiful. I particularly like the last one and the story that goes with it, it says a lot about your Gran.

Angela said...

This post is so sweet:) I love old pictures, everyone just looked so fancy back then!

Miss Lili NC said...

Those pictures are great! We recently found an old album of my grandmother's and are working on getting everything scanned. Your Gran was very handsome, and clearly very innovative!

Muffy said...

Aww, I am so sorry for your loss. I lost my grandfather last year and it is just so hard without him. It's best to remember the happy times and think of all the fun you shared!

Mama's the Boss said...

What wonderful pictures & what wonderful memories you have of our grandfather.

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

Oh Gran is so adorable on his scooter!!