Monday, June 9, 2008

Flip flop.

I know a lot of y'all have fabulous businesses and side gigs of your own - whether it's handmade bags or monogramming or children's clothes or whatever! Well y'all know I have my paper biz on the side that serves as my creative outlet for my non-creative day job counting beans. Thing is, one day I am ALL about my business, and get excited about expanding it and drumming up new ideas and thinking of fun ways to market myself... and then the next day I am like totally ho-hum about it all and completely unmotivated. I flip-flop like this constantly. So my question, fellow entrepreneurs, is this normal? I purposely don't over-market myself for this reason... my business really just comes from word-of-mouth and I like to keep it that way - small and simple... you know, fun projects to do when they pop up. People often ask if I plan to eventually quit my "real" job and do the paper gig full-time, but I totally have no desire to do that. It's fun and I like it a lot - but it's not what I'm ultimately meant to do forever. It's just fun for me for now. Now I am rambling... but really I'm just wondering if these up-and-down feelings are normal or if I'm just weird and can't seem to make up my mind... thoughts, ladies?

On another note, I did get my dad's gift figured out this weekend but I'm still working on FIL's. More on that later... thanks for the suggestions! Oh and P.S. - I survived my second 5k and shaved a couple of minutes off my time!! Who knew?!

7 comments:

Well I Do Declare said...

I have an Ebay business and I do the same thing. I will list a bunch of stuff one week and then not list anything for two.

Jaime Nash said...

I have a special events and wedding design and coordinating business, and I'm the same way. I think mostly I'm afraid of failing - not failing at doing it well, just afraid of failing at running my business full time. I'm afraid of not having enough clients to keep the income consistent, and having to find another "real job" (although event planning is a HUGE job!!) as some folks call it. I think this subject might be my next blog post!

Lauren @ Adventures of a Southern Newlywed said...

I didn't know you have a paper business on the side! What fun!

Suburban prep said...

I knit on the side and I love it.
I have to admit though there are days that I just am not motivated to do that .
These days are usually in the Summer when becasue of the humidity I just don't want to move.

Mama's the Boss said...

I don't have a side gig, but I think your feeling are so normal. You lead a busy life & maybe the unmotivated times in your side gig are just when you feel too pushed & pulled in the other parts of your life.
If your paper business is making you happy & keeping you balanced, I say do it whenever you want & in whatever extreme you want.

Tara said...

Well, I have seen your work and it is fabulous. My best friend used you for her wedding... You know.. the gal from "People May Grumble". I have a wedding floral business on the side and I have the same feelings some days. It is hard to do it ALL. Go to work 8 hours at your reg. job, come home and keep up daily house tasks, eat dinner, keep up doing other errands, etc. I beat myself up when I realize I haven't put the effort I need to it, such as advertising. I can tell my word of mouth is starting to dwindle down. We all just have to keep each other motivated. If it makes u feel any better you guys do and your other blog links of some of your other pals has been inspiring me lately. I need to attach a blog to my wedding floral site, bloomsandblossomsflowers.com I hope to have some outside vendors soon on the site. I have seen your work and I think u should keep at it!

Buford Betty said...

What sweet words, T-ann - thanks so much! :-)