Friday, July 18, 2008

Would y'all believe...

...that I actually marked *everything* off yesterday's to-do list? Every last thing! That's got to be a first. I'm usually quite overly ambitious with my daily to-do's, so it was rather thrilling to pull that list out this morning and realize I did every little task I set out to do. Ahhh.... so satisfying. But look... I have a whole new list for today. ;-)

I'm hoping to get in a good "catch-up" post this weekend, but here's something to nibble on for the time being... I came across this post the other day and it really got me thinking about selling my wedding dress. Never really gave it much thought before, but I was like.... why not?! I mean what am I going to do with it? I always thought I'd eventually preserve it, but I hadn't even had the darn thing cleaned yet. It's a Reem Acra gown and undoubtedly the most expensive piece of "clothing" I'll ever have owned, but y'all... it's just been hanging in my closet in a bag for the last 5 1/2 years. Seriously I do not envision any of my imaginary daughters ever wanting to wear it. If they're anything like their mother, they'd want something new and bright and shiny and all their own. And I was fortunate enough to have a fabulous photographer who took a ridiculous amount of photos - so I have endless images of me in the dress. So really, what's to miss? If we (meaning the dry cleaners) can get all the stains out (and that may be a big IF), I think I can probably get at least 2 G's for the gown. I already asked my parents and they are fine with it. My mom said it's kind of cool to think about the gown having a second trip down the aisle. I think so too!

So girls, what are your thoughts? My dress is actually at the cleaners right now so I'm sold on doing this, but just wondered what you guys thought. All my girlfriends that I've mentioned it to have eagerly answered, "Sell it!!!" Did any of you ladies part with your beloved dress? Any regrets? The dress definitely has sentimental value, but I have other pieces that mean way more to me. My tiara is staying with me for sure. It was custom made and I adore it - and that is something I could imagine my daughter wearing on her wedding day. Y'all know I'm really an accessories girl, after all.

13 comments:

Gracie Beth said...

hey i just found your blog and i also reside in the ATL suburbs very close to Buford!

Anonymous said...

I've been thinking about this too. It's a hard call. I know my future daughters wont want to wear it either, but for some reason I think I still want to keep it. Even if it is just in a box.

Let us know how it goes!

Buford Betty said...

Hi Gracie Beth! Oh how I do love a good Georgia peach! I just added you to my blogroll... :-)

Lauren @ Adventures of a Southern Newlywed said...

This is a tough call. On one hand, I think it would be nice to have the extra cash, but on the other hand, I would be afraid I would regret it later.

Mrs.Preppy said...

I am holding onto mine for later... Cash is good, but I think I would regret it.

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

Sell it!! You are never going to wear it again- not even for fun. The pictures and memories are the important things here. As long as your pictures are saved online somewhere (in case of fire or water damage to the actual photos), you are good to go. I mean, after 5.5 years you have yet to even dry clean it. I think you'll be fine.

Muffy said...

GASP!!!! You can't sell it!!!! MEMORIES!!!!

Buford Betty said...

Hehehehe... y'all are all softies! ;-) I've never been much of one to hang on to "things" for sake of memories or sentiment - so perhaps that's why this is almost a no-brainer for me. We need the cash. Momma needs a new pair of shoes.

Miss Lili NC said...

I'm sentimental, so I'd probably keep it. I have a wedding dress that I wore for my Deb Ball and my mom shrieked when one of her friends suggested that I should sell it. However, just think of all the new stuff you can buy with the money you make, and the extra closet space!

Miss Lili NC said...

P.S. I tagged you!

Michelle said...

NO...do not sell it...you are going to want it so that 20 years down the road you can see if it still fits! Mine is still in my closet and we are hitting 20 years in December. I never got it preserved (planned to and never go around to it but it is still pristine) My DD says she wants to use "parts" of it for her "restyled" dress (we will see!). DD loves to look at it though.

Jill said...

I'm with you about not knowing for sure. I don't have a daughter so it won't be passed down that way. Mine wasn't expensive so it's not going to be hot vintage fare in 30 years. My husband doesn't want me to sell it, so for now it just hangs in our guest bedroom closet.

Sew Biz said...

I have never had my dressed cleaned either and mine has been hanging for 13 years! I've never really thought about selling it - I do have boys so I don't have to worry about a daughter wanting to wear it. I didn't want my moms - so all of this to say......sell the dress. You can buy some shoes!!