Monday, July 7, 2008

Staycation!

I hope you all had a fabulous 4th! We had a ton of fun at the Peachtree. The hub did really well - though he was a little nauseous afterward. It was amazing how well organized it was. And being down there made me really want to run it. So I'm definitely in next year! Even just spectating, we ended up walking several miles... so geez - I might as well run the darn thing! And as I anticipated, it was definitely great people watching. From one dude running in "hot pants" and a cape, to firemen in their full fireman getup... it was quite a site to see. The hub and his pals were in the 5th group to start (there were 9 total - making up about 60,000 runners). The race started at 7:30am but his group didn't take off till nearly 8:30. So there was a lot of standing around and waiting at first - which you'll see in some of these pics. An unbelievable amount of people! I'd love to see a bird's eye view of all of this...

The hub's group waiting to start the race.

Helicopters everywhere... I happened to catch 3 hovering together. Can you see them?


One of the groups getting ready to go. The volunteers are in the yellow shirts.


Finally moving toward the start line! That American flag was HUGE - and it gave me an awesome sense of pride.


Just a few of the exhuasted runners after crossing the finish line!


So we definitely had a blast. Although riding MARTA back up to our car with hundreds of smelly runners... NOT so fun. Sweaty sardines.

Well this weekend kicked off my week-long STAYcation! I've seen several of you posting about what you'd do on a staycation... well I'm actually taking one this week! I've got a big old to-do list that I'm getting ready to tackle and I'm super excited about it and really motivated to get a lot of stuff done at home. So I've got several days at home to work on different projects around the house. And then Friday we're leaving to visit MIL and FIL up in Tennessee. That's going to be a nice little getaway and we're really looking forward to it. So I'm going to really do my best to "un-plug" this week and focus on my to-do's. I'm so bad about "hopping" on the computer to check email and then oh, three hours later... yikes. So I really am going to take a good bloggy break this week as well. So y'all have a fabu week. I definitely plan to! :-)

:: One year ago this past weekend ::

(Been busy... oops!)

9 comments:

BroncoMom said...

So glad to read that The Peachtree was a success. You have to run The Peachtree once to have that experience - its thrilling.
Good luck with your list and have a happy staycation.
Until next time Betty.....

Lauren @ Adventures of a Southern Newlywed said...

I am glad you had a nice weekend! I hope you enjoy your staycation!

PS - I have the same problem with just "checking my email" - it quickly turns into a few hours!

Ellen said...

Glad to hear you had fun at the Peachtree! My mother and little sister were in it, too. Who knows? I may join them next year :)

As Cape Cod Turns said...

Happy Staycation! And good idea not checking your email/blog. I get caught up too!

Muffy said...

Have a wonderful STAY-CATION! Your run sounds like it was fab!

Jill said...

God bless you for fighting the crowds at Peachtree Road Race and cheering your favorite runner(s). I ran it in 1997 - my second summer here - and the crowds even back then were daunting. I don't think I actually started RUNNING until mile 2 or so. Enjoy your stay-cation. Hubby and I always take the week b/t Christmas and Ney Year's off and we're already planning on putting the toddler in daycare and having a little stay-cation of our own. Hello massages and facials at Jolie.

Miss Lili NC said...

Enjoy your staycation! Hope the to-do list is getting shorter!

Mama's the Boss said...

I hope you are enjoying your week!

Michelle said...

Have a great Stay-cation!!! We are down at IOP this week and I am dreading heading back home tomorrow...