Thursday, July 5, 2007

Sick and tired of being sick and tired!

Someone get me out of this house! I was supposed to head back to work today, but still wasn't quite ready. This recovery thing is slow-going and I don't like things that are slow-going! I'm going to try again tomorrow, but the thing is I still can't sit comfortably in a chair for very long. So being at the computer long enough to type this is a quite an accomplishment!

Anyway, surgery's over and all is well. My surgery outfit was so perfect - though between that and my jammies, I'm so ready to get back in normal clothing. I'm really going to give it the good college try tomorrow morning and go into the office. Even if I don't last but an hour, at least I will have put in the effort. I feel guilty being out this long, even though I shouldn't.

As for the surgery itself, my doctor accomplished a lot, but not quite everything he intended, so unfortunately I get to do this all over again in September. So bad news is, he wasn't able to remove the septum (wall of good-for-nothin' tissue in my uterus) because they discovered a weakened area on my uterus. With all the other work they were doing - which I'll explain in a second - he just thought it was too much of a risk to remove it in the condition it's in presently. So they are going to put me on these shots ($600 a pop) that will give me menopause-like symptoms for a month at a time and will soften that uterine tissue and enable them to more safely remove the septum. We can do it as soon as August, but my August is just crazy... we've got a trip to Maine planned and a bunch of other stuff going on that I don't want to screw up. So we're going to do surgery #2 in September. Good news is, they successfully removed the ovarian cyst I had, and also they discovered (and removed) a pretty significant amount of endometriosis. My doctor said the endometriosis is undoubtedly why we haven't been able to get preggers yet. Knowing this is like a HUGE relief to me and my husband... even with my busted uterus, we still should've been able to get pregnant, even if the septum prevented us from carrying a baby full term. I feel like we've finally got some solid answers now. Even though we're not quite there yet, I feel like we actually have a plan now.

Having another surgery sucks... I mean recovery is a bitch and I won't even go into the awful day I had in the hospital the day of surgery... but I'm ready. Let's do it. I love my doctor - I know he's got our best interest at heart and he actually said, you WILL get pregnant. So that is just super encouraging. And we did also learn that when we do get pregnant, that I'll have to have a C-section (because of that weak area in my uterus - it apparently could become dangerous when I go into labor and it starts contracting). Well, I'll be like a surgery pro by then, so bring it on. Lots of my friends have had them. And hey, like I told my husband, at least my hoo haa won't get all jacked up (yeah, lots of my friends had that happen too).

So, still feeling a little crappy over here... but what exciting things to come! I gotta go find my husband... he's gotta get me out of this house! I'm thinking cheese dip and sangria should do the trick.

5 comments:

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

I am so glad you are feeling better-ish. If you stay home tomorrow, give me a call. I can't wait to be Buford Baby's favorite TT!

Olivia: (mostly) Happy Homemaker said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog! I look forward to reading about your recovery and exciting future!

Melissa said...

I just found you after you commented on my blog. I really love your site - I'm looking forward to coming back!

DebbieDo said...

I'm sorry you have to do another surgery but I'm glad you have some answers. Sometimes knowing what is ahead can help with planning.

Here's to a sucessful surgery in Septemeber and to getting prego in October!

tulipmom said...

I hope you're feeling better by now. I'm new to your blog and just want to wish you lots of luck in your journey to parenthood.

I'm having an HSG next week to rule out blocked tubes/etc. after 3 failed IUIs.