Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Nursery Bargains: Changing Table

Less than 48 hours ago I was looking at changing tables online and gawking at the prices. I had found a suitable crib in the Pottery Barn Kids catalog that was on clearance for $399 (regularly $599). And we wouldn't necessarily have to have "the" matching changing table for it, but of course I was perusing the ones they had anyway. Ugh, the cheapest one I could find was like $599. I know that's not outrageous, but I was just not thrilled about spending that much. Besides our dining room set, I'm not sure there's a piece of furniture in our house worth that much! Our couches are Exhibit A for the fact that our dogs rule the place, and our master bed is literally a mattress on wheels without a headboard. So yeah, nothing too fancy in our digs right now while we're still in debt-busting mode.

And while I'm very, very picky on the styling of this nursery, I'm not going to be too picky when it comes to the crib. It's not going to be the main focal point in the room and I just want something simple. So the clean lines and more importantly, the price, of this one will work great! This is the Kendall crib from Pottery Barn Kids, in white...




So on a whim yesterday while at work, I hopped on craigslist to see what was available in the way of changing tables. Again, not too picky here but just wanted something with similar styling that would coordinate with the crib we're eying. And right away, BAM! I found two local listings for a Pottery Barn changing table in the exact same collection! It's the Kendall changing table, in white, pictured here...


PB Kids actually doesn't sell it anymore - they have a new Kendall changing table they're selling now. But I like this one better! (Even in the current crib pic above, you can see the edge of this old table in the corner.) And I certainly like the price better! One chick had it listed for $275 along with the baskets she had purchased. I didn't really care about the baskets - I rather get my own, but whatever. But then I found another listing for the exact same piece (sans baskets) for $150! So long-story-short, we drove a good hour last night (I was using "local" loosely - metro Atlanta is rather large) to pick up this beauty! The previous owners were super nice and threw in the changing pad and we also bought a barely used crib mattress from them for $15! Um, Pottery Barn has their cheapest crib mattress listed for $129. Score! I know you can get them cheaper, but still.

I am so excited!!! First big baby purchase! And I'm in love with it - the changing table is in great condition and even more beautiful in person. There's nothing much more satisfying than a killer deal. Stay tuned for more nursery developments! I mean my whole reason for wanting a baby is to design a nursery and have my own live dress-up doll. Kidding. Sort of.

And yes, I am up at 4:00am typing this while eating a pop tart. Baby was hungry and my bedside saltines weren't cutting it...

12 comments:

Natalie at Our Old Southern House said...

you sound like me w/your nursery. i bought a ton off craigs list...i honestly don't remember ANY furniture or accessory that i bought new. we got the white pottery barn kids sleigh crib w/mattress for $200 off craigs list. a brand new (b/c their kid didn't like it) chicco high chair for $40. a maclaren for $75. a new swing for $30.
it's such a high to get things for cheap.

Kathleen said...

Wow - great deal!

We haven't started nursery preparations yet. Honestly I'm not even sure which room we're going to use yet! I got an idea over the weekend about doing some built-in cabinets in one of the rooms so I'm hoping that will eliminate the need for at least some of the pricey furniture. We'll see! Luckily I have tons of time!

Buford Betty said...

Kathleen - that's exactly what we're doing - built-in shelves all along to back wall, which is why we're keeping the furniture sweet and simple!

Unknown said...

Adorable!!! We are just getting started with our nursery preparations. I have painted an antique armiore and will paint the dresser soon. I found a great deal on a 2-in-1 crib/changing table at Target.com (but haven't purchased it yet). With our limited space, I didn't want a separate changing table as I don't even know how often I will use it. So far, our only major purchase has been our plush glider/ottoman...it arrives in a week!

Elizabeth said...

Yayyyy for an awesome purchase! Don't you just LOVE Craigslist? I am currenlty searching them up and down for a nice dining room set. I can't wait to see the entire nursery put together. It sounds like it is going to be just precious!

Amy @ Forever 29 said...

Great deal! We bought our changing table on Craigslist and have several other friends who have too! And I know what you mean about Craigslist in Atlanta! Looking forward to seeing how the room for your sweet baby comes together :-)

Kathleen said...

Oooh I'd love to see photos when you're done! I'm still not quite sure what exactly I want "built in"! LOL

Ruth said...

They look great and way to find a deal

Ruth said...

They look great. And those are some wonderful deals.

Julie Tiemann said...

I can't wait to see what you do with the nursery - you're SO much better at this stuff than I am. Love your finds so far!!

Hope said...

Haven't had time to comment in a while and wanted to say congrats! I got my PB sleigh crib off Craig's list and was pretty excited about it too!

Susan said...

That's great! We bought the same changing table off craigslist a little over a year ago for my daughter's room. It's so FUN to get a deal!