Monday, March 7, 2011

Enchilada Recipe

How does Monday get here so fast?  Actually, I don't mind... let's please get through these next six weeks quickly so I can have a life again!  Anyway, just chowing down on some leftovers here.  I made some yum-o GF/DF enchiladas last night and thought I'd share the recipe.  I wasn't sure if the hub would like them but he was very impressed!  And it's super easy - just my style...
 
Beef (or Turkey) Enchiladas
 
1 lb ground beef or turkey (we use turkey - 93% fat free kind)
1 onion, chopped
1-2 tbsp diced jalapeno (canned)
1 pkg taco seasoning mix (for GF, find one that uses cornstarch as filler or make your own)
1 jar Verde enchilada sauce (I used Kroger brand)
6-8 corn tortillas
 
Directions:
 
Brown the meat and cook the onions in a skillet and add the canned jalapenos (to taste).  Add taco seasoning according to package directions. If you're using a homemade seasoning, add salt to taste.  In a baking dish, add some of the Verde sauce to the bottom of the dish (just enough to cover the surface).  Spoon your meat mixture into each of the tortillas, rolling them and placing the "open" side on the bottom of the baking dish.  You'll want to use a dish that will hold your enchiladas snugly - I actually used a glass pie baking dish for my six and they fit perfectly.  Pour the rest of your Verde sauce over the enchiladas and bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes (watch for sauce to bubble).
 
The hub of course topped his with cheese, but they were so tasty, I really did not miss the cheese whatsoever.  And they're great leftover too... seeing as I just inhaled the last two here.

No comments: