Wednesday, March 16, 2011

The Boob Tube

Hey guess what!  No, not that.  I gave up television today.  Not for good, but for 40 days.  And no, not for Lent - our church doesn't observe Lent.  As I've mentioned before, North Point Community Church is launching a new campus this fall in Gwinnett!  We are having Good Friday and Easter services as a kick-off and the church is getting everyone involved in 40 days of prayer and fasting to lead into Easter weekend.  Thanks to my Moo Goo diet, there's really nothing else food or drink-wise that I haven't already eliminated.  Some people give up Facebook, but honestly I'm rarely ever on there so that's no real sacrifice.  TV was the only thing I could think of that would really suck to give up. 
 
I don't watch a ton of TV, but it's basically always on in our house.  Background noise.  And then I do have my shows that I absolutely look forward to every week.  And I'm not allowing myself to watch internet TV either... no Hulu shows.  No TV shows, period.  And no DVD's...  Anything on the tube is prohibited!  This should be interesting. 
 
As far as the new church, the permanent location will be about 10 minutes from our house!  We currently drive a good half hour to get to Buckhead Church (another campus), so that will be a welcome change.  But we'll be in a temporary spot for 2 or 3 years, most likely at the Gwinnett Center.  And this is where the Good Friday and Easter services will be held!  If you are in the area, come check us out!  Even if you attend other campuses, consider joining us for Good Friday.  Buckhead has done Good Friday services for as long as I can remember and they're incredibly powerful, so I expect nothing less from Gwinnett Church.  Click here for service times and details. 
 
I know a lot of you out there observe Lent... what kinds of things have you sacrificed this season?

1 comment:

Hurley Lucy said...

I used to not really observe it but have started to. This is the first year I'm doing something Lent specific. I chose Bread. Partially for my health (A lot of stomach issues) and for the sacrifice. Good luck with the no Buffy and so happy you guys will have a closer drive to church! Yay!