Wednesday, May 21, 2008

New Birdies.


Awww.... our little birdies that have been nesting on our front porch have new little birdie babies! Oh they are so cute. I think these are morning doves - some kind of dove anyway. I had a pair of these nest outside my apartment years ago in one of my hanging baskets. It made for a horrible Catch 22 with watering the plant... If you water it, you freak the birds out, but if you don't, they lose their safe cover. I just tried to water as carefully as I could without disturbing the little ones. I watched as the little darlings went from two itty bitty eggs to two feather puffs.

Well one morning I apparently chose the wrong time to water the plant. Neither the momma or daddy birds were there (I guess they were looking for breakfast). So I decided to water and I apparently scared one of the poor little ones because he FREAKED out and fell completely out of the nest! OMG I was horrified. And did I mention that I was on the 3rd floor?! The poor little helpless creature tumbled all the way down to the ground. He attempted to fly but he just wasn't quite there yet. Now *I* was freaking out! I called the hub (who was probably my fiance at the time) and told him what happened and asked what I should do. He told me to not touch the bird because if the momma smelled me on him she'd abandon him. OMG! I've surely murdered this poor little birdy! So I went to work that day totally distraught. But would you believe when I got home that little guy was BACK in the nest?! I have no idea how, but he made it back. Thank God!

So for our newest little nesters, the hub joked that I was not to traumatize these poor birds. I'm glad they chose such a great spot and not one of our plants! I researched these birds the first time they nested and the momma and daddy birds actually take turns minding the nest! How sweet is that? It's only one or the other in the nest at a time, but yesterday we happened to catch the parents hanging out nearby while the little ones enjoyed some alone time in the nest...


And how precious are these lil guys?!


4 comments:

The Mrs. said...

What a relief! Thank Goodness! So sweet...

melissa said...

Oh,how sweet! I have recently become a big bird lover (thanks to a girlfriend who gave me a bird feeder for my birthday). I love watching and learning about different types of birds. We have a morning dove that comes every evening at almost the exact same time(6:45)and sits on the exact same branch!

Melissa

Etiquettely Correct said...

That is so neat! Thanks for sharing the pictures. I heard that doves mate for life - I don't know if its true, but if it is I think its neat.

Kate said...

So cool! Glad they are doing well :)