Friday, January 25, 2008

Invest in Someone.


My MIL gave me this great little book by Joyce Meyer for Christmas that I've really been enjoying. It has a little message and verse for each day of the year to get your day started right. They're really quick little reads - seriously takes less than 30 seconds. I keep the book on my bathroom counter and usually read them while I'm drying my hair. I like to multitask. Anyway, they all have a great message, but today's really spoke to me so I wanted to share it...


Take chances today and invest in someone else's life, especially if God tells you to do so. You may give them something of value only to learn they waste it as they have always done in the past. But remember that God made an investment in you, and he wants you to be willing to make an investment in somebody else.

Jesus died to give everybody a chance. Not everyone takes advantage of his provision, but we all have an equal opportunity to enjoy abundant life. If you help someone, and they end up not doing what is right with it, that is between them and God. Give thanks that you are able to give, and then do whatever God tells you to do.


This immediately made me think of my SIL. She's dealt with depression the last 5 or 6 years - maybe longer. For that and other reasons, our relationship has often been strained, to say the least, but I have always felt God tugging at my heart to keep after her. We're always inviting her to church and trying to get her involved - in life in general, not just God stuff. And no matter our efforts, we're repeatedly disappointed. And as soon as I'm about to say "screw it" and go about my business, I hear God telling me to try again. And the reading this morning only confirmed all those feelings. And I can see this situation in so many relationships. Stacy, this totally made me think of your post about your mother and her relationship with her late mother. How wonderful that she invested everything she could, even if she got nothing in return. So OK God, I hear you loud and clear. I'll keep on keepin' on.

2 comments:

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

what a great message. i need to pick up that book for myself!

The Mrs. said...

What a great book. Brilliant idea. You need to reach out to SIL for sure. I know its hard!