Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Reader Poll: What Olympic sport would you add?


While driving to work this morning, my local radio show was talking about starting a new sport as a way to get into the Olympics - jokingly, of course. Sort of. And that got me thinking about what sport I'd add to the Olympics if anyone asked for my input. Which they should! But they usually don't.

I think my idea is totally awesome though. Bestest and I always joke that if people would just listen to us, the world would be a better place. Humility at its finest! Anyway, so if *I* were to add a sport, it would be partner stunting - as in cheerleading. Now I'm not about to get into the controversial topic of whether cheering is a sport or not... but y'all, if people can win gold medals for jumping on a freaking trampoline, surely this is worth consideration.

Now I'm not talking about full squads competing here. There are lots of elements to cheerleading. I cheered for many years, so yeah I have my opinions on it, sure. The gymnasts have got the tumbling covered, so no need to have more of that. I don't really care about seeing actual chanting or dance numbers... but stunting? Yes, that could work. And I think the best bet - at least initially - would be partner stunting. Teams of two - a guy and a gal - that perform a routine throwing trick after trick after trick. The routines are about a minute long - I found one on You Tube so you could see what I'm talking about.


Totally medal worthy, don't you think? I guess the question is... do any other countries do partner stunting? Well I bet you they'd start!

So today's question, readers... what Olympic sport would YOU add?

11 comments:

Muffy said...

BINGE DRINKING! I think the USA would win, but those Irish might give us good competition! ;)

Breezy said...

I have to agree, being a former cheerleader myself. (and I secretly still like watching the competitions on ESPN)...but, I have to say that whole squad stunting is more impressive to me. Yes, partner stunting is hard, but you have so many more options with whole squad stunting...cut out the cheers and dancing and put the whole squad stunting to music!

Buford Betty said...

I agree - that would be totally awesome too!

Gracie Beth said...

This is silly, but I would add shopping because ever since I was a little girl my daddy has told me that if there were an olympic medal in shopping, that I would win it.

LovesPINKandPEARLS said...

i agree, being a cheerleader at one time, it would be about time if they added it, its an intense sport!

Lauren @ Adventures of a Southern Newlywed said...

I think cheerleading would be fun to watch.

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

Are you kidding me- stunting/cheering is way more athletic than ping pong and archery. But I don't think any other country besides the US has cheerleading, do they? I guess that means we win!

A Belle and her Beau said...

I also agree on a stunt competition! My favorite part of a college football game is watching the cheerleaders stunt. Bring it on USA!

PS- I am a first time commenter and a georgia peach as well :) I LOVE your blog.

Michelle said...

Well, being a former cheerleader and the mom of a current cheerleader, I am in total agreement!!!

Unknown said...

Not olympic related but did you see that Kate is coming soon to Rue La La. Our budget 's are in T-R-O-U-B-L-E!!!

The Mrs. said...

I would add paralell parking because I am damn good at it! Maybe also Diet Dr. Pepper drinking. I could beat anyone!