Tuesday, November 6, 2007

A Kuntry Wedding

So kuntry bride's weekend was lots of fun and I'm finally taking a minute here to blog about it! Gosh I haven't danced that much in I don't know how long... it was a whirlwind weekend for sure and I was truly exhausted come Sunday. As it turns out, the bride didn't require any drugs on her wedding day (though I was tempted to slip some in her water bottle Friday afternoon).
I left work around noon on Friday to drive down to the bridesmaids' luncheon. The restaurant where the luncheon was held was really nice and the food was pretty good. So that was a good time... Oh and side note - during the luncheon, the hub sent me a text message saying he had spoken with my doctor about the HSG films and my doctor said not to worry at all - that it was totally normal. So that set my mind at ease on that issue. We're supposed to talk to my doctor again this week - more on that later.

After the luncheon, we spent the afternoon running errands. Kuntry bride was clearly stressing. She wanted to go to the hotel where the rehearsal dinner was being held to see if the room was ready. Apparently Miss Valerie (the groom's mother) was supposed to get flowers for the rehearsal dinner, but this seemed to have slipped Miss Valerie's mind. So anyway, since bride was unsure of how the rehearsal dinner room was going to come together, she had a couple of the bridesmaids and one other girlfriend go ahead and start putting the tables together and such. One of the groom's aunts, Aunt Kathy, was evidently put in charge of this task originally... because when Aunt Kathy came in the room and discovered these three girls working away (two of which are preggers by the way), she gets this look of absolute horror on her face and screams, "I'M GONNA KICK YOUR F*CKIN' ASSES!" Yes. Now keep in mind she has never met any of these three girls, nor them her... so these literally are the first words out of her mouth. I guess she was offended that her "job" had been taken over. So the girls quickly vacated and handed over the reins before further attack. The funny thing is... no one has told kuntry bride about this little incident yet. We certainly didn't want to stress her out any further. So that will be a fun one to share when she returns from her honeymoon. Even more funny, Saturday morning she was going on and on about how *sweet* Aunt Kathy is.

The rehearsal went OK... it was just rather cold because the ceremony was outdoors. And something kuntry bride and her hometown clan always do is have a stand-in bride. Does anyone else do this? I'd never heard of doing this till her wedding. She has a friend stand in as the bride and she sits back and watches the whole rehearsal. Towards the end of the rehearsal we noticed Miss Valerie was on the phone a lot and she didn't look happy. Turns out the caterers "got lost" and the food had yet to arrive at the rehearsal dinner site. It was supposed to arrive at 7:15. They didn't have it set up and ready till 8:30... so we were starving to say the least! The groom was pissed and kuntry bride was certainly not pleased, but it all came together in the end and it was fine. It was actually really yummy - not sure if that's just because I was on the brink of starvation or not... but it was damn good. They had their favorite local Mexican joint cater and it was yummers - a fajita bar complete with cheese dip. Mmmm!

After dinner we went back to the bride's house for the night. We stayed up while she finished packing for the honeymoon and just had some good late night girly time. Then kuntry bride got a call from her fiance letting her know that he invited someone else to the wedding. WTF? Men are freaking clueless! So she had to drag out her seating chart and figure out where the heck to put her. And seriously, what kind of person accepts an invitation to a wedding that takes place in less than 24 hours? An obvious afterthought - goodness. Anyway, we finally called it a night around 1:30am. I was excited to get a bed all to myself and some peace and quiet for a few hours... but then I felt something strange in my bed. A sippy cup that had spilled all over the bed - her nephew apparently had left it there the night before. Yikes... there's no telling what else her nephew and niece left for me in that bed. I stuck to the dry side of the bed and tried not to think about it. I was exhausted.

The wedding day started early. The hair and makeup girls were arriving at 8:30am... keep in mind the ceremony didn't start till 6:30pm! So I had to get up much earlier than I would've liked to. I was a bit nervous about having my hair put up by people I've never used, but it was all good - they did a good job. I didn't have my makeup done, but they did have an extra pair of faux eyelashes, so I totally had them put those on me! So fun! I've always wanted to try them. They felt weird at first, but as the glue dried, they didn't bother me at all. Kuntry bride also had some put on - hers were even more va-va-voom. The wedding day went pretty darn smoothly. And of course we had time to spare since we started so early! So it was nice to not have to be so rushed. We arrived at the venue around 3pm, got dressed, and did pictures and such before the show started at 6:30. Everything went well and most importantly, the bride and groom had a blast. We really had lots and lots of fun! But wow, I'm glad it's over. I know the bride is too. She's probably googling at her new husband across the table at a romantic dinner on the beach right about now... I'm so jealous!!!


Here's the bride getting her face on.


Rolling in to the venue...

Here's the bride writing sweet nothings to her soon-to-be-husband.

Tomorrow, one of the other bridesmaids (my girlfriend who also ventured down to the kuntry with us this summer) is going with me to sneak in to the bride's house and decorate it for the newlyweds' return. We're going to put up streamers and other silly stuff and leave out everything they need to make an easy pasta dinner when they get home. Plus we'll do whatever cleaning we can so that the house looks nice when they get back. There's nothing worse than coming home to a messy house from vacation. It's like a punch in the face - welcome back to reality!

5 comments:

Britt said...

"She had it tucked in though..."
Hilarious line, sounds like a fun wedding!

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

That story still has my jaw on the ground. Crazy! It sounds like everyone really had a great time though.

Somewhere Between Pinot and Pacifiers said...

I love your recap of the wedding events...hilarious! I live in a very small town and could really visualize some of those things happening! Too funny.

Lori said...

Sounds like a great time! The bride is beautiful. :)
I know that tradition of someone standing in for the bride at rehearsal. I didn't walk down the aisle at rehearsal because I wanted my wedding to be the "first time", but I rehearsed all the other stuff, where to stand etc. :)
Weddings can bring out the worst in us, just like it did for Aunt Kathy! :0

Michelle said...

OMG....I am speechLESS! I do hope it was a lovely ceremony and the start to a wonder filled future for Mr. & Mrs. Kuntry.

BTW,,,,stand in bride??? Could that be??? Was this like an "extra" for the Groom??? Bless their hearts.