Thursday, November 8, 2007

Closet clean-out!

Well my Paige maternity capris came in yesterday (though I didn't notice them on our front porch till this morning - the poor things must've been freezing!) and they are awesome! And Awesome with a capital *A* since I only paid a whopping $43 for them! I tried them on and they're perfect. Which for me, is so rare with jeans since I have SWBB syndrome (that's Small-Waist-Big-Booty syndrome, for you skinny minnies). They fit great and I have a little room to grow too when I get preggers. So after getting these jeans, I am suddenly inspired to clean out my closet and do a major overhaul on my wardrobe.

Now my closet stays pretty neat and organized for the most part, but just beyond the borders of my closet is a disaster of dirty clothes, unmatched socks, and clothes to be dry-cleaned. None of these piles ever seem to fully go away. (And I won't even go into the perfect storm that is the hub's closet.) Also, in our spare bedroom (which I'm hoping will be a nursery someday soon) is my "someday closet" - which is a total mess. All kinds of crap is thrown about in there. It's pretty much a junk closet right now and it's driving me NUTS. The junkiness is contaminating my cute someday pieces! And the room itself is empty but for some random crap on the floor. A bag started for Goodwill... more sweaters to be dry-cleaned... gifts we received for Christmas last year that haven't been put away/put to use (holy cow are we a little behind or what?!)... etc, etc. That room has kind of become the dumping ground, and I'm just over it. There's also a bathroom in there that the hub likes to sneak off to - so the room is a dumping ground in more ways than one. There are also bathroom fixtures we bought forever ago at the Pottery Barn outlet that are still sitting in their boxes on the floor by the tub. So there's a lot of help needed in this room! And for some reason, I'm suddenly inspired to get all of this done once and for all!

This weekend, I'm going to go through my closet - item by item - and pull out stuff for Goodwill and also stuff I think they might take at Plato's Closet. I have some Paper Denim & Cloth jeans that I wore all of one time before wondering why the heck I bought them (they didn't fit great). I'm sure they'll take those. Much of my other stuff I'm sure they'll think is too "old lady" for their teeny-bopper clientele, but maybe I'll find some stuff. There's just so much in my closet that I never even touch - it's time to give myself some tough love and part with it.

So I'm getting this out now so I can hold myself accountable! This is my major to-do for the weekend and I will take some before and after shots so you can appreciate the madness. We've also got to do the same overhaul with our basement, but that's a whole other, truly embarrassing issue. Baby steps...

6 comments:

Britt said...

I love the feeling of cleaning out and especially taking things to Plato's Closet! I feel like the money I earn there should (and does) go to something new!

Traci Anne said...

Let me just state that I LOVE Plato's Closet and am so sad that they don't have one in NYC.

Anyway - while you're cleaning out your closet, you could always post some things you're trying to sell on your blog. I'm sure you wear the same size as some of your readers and that way, you'd make some cash (more than at PC) and a reader would get new clothes! Just a thought. Mostly because I'm nosy and like looking in other peoples' closets (just my friends, and with permission, obvs)

The 5 Bickies said...

I just found Plato's Closet. Even though I am a 40-something you still find great stuff in there. It's all a little new to me...do they just give you cash for your stuff when you bring it in?

Buford Betty said...

Hello Darling... great idea! I may actually post some items before heading out to Plato's/Goodwill!

5 Bickies... yep, you get cash on the spot! They can be pretty picky about what they'll take, but it's always worth a try. :-)

Lori said...

Take advantage of the "nesting" feeling and get all that stuff done! You'll feel so much better.
You're right, baby steps...before you know it, you'll have all that stuff done! Good luck :)

Heather said...

I will have to try out Plato's Closet. That seems like a great idea. I laughed so hard at the "dumping ground" joke.