Friday, March 26, 2010

Just put on a happy face!

We had a baby shower here at the office for a co-worker.  Can't exactly escape those during tax season...  it's not like I can take the day off and conveniently miss it (and yeah, I've totally done that before).  There is no vaca during tax season - unless you want a permanent one.  So I'm not going to turn this post into a sappy pity party for me - I mean I still do a shower up right.  My gift was by far the cutest, you know.  And this girl is super sweet - I'm not hating on her, please know.  But seriously, one of the worst things about baby showers is the conversations that start while we're watching wrapping paper fly and stuffing our faces with cake.  So for a peek inside my head (and a good laugh), here's some of the random things that were said at the shower, followed by my unspoken response...
 
"Oh, [pregnant co-worker], I knew at the last office baby shower that you'd be next!"
Really?  That's awesome.  Because I've only been waiting 4 1/2 years.  Everyone feel free to jump in front of me!
 
"You know, from the back you can't even tell she's pregnant!"
Wow - really?  Because I can see her belly through walls.  I have to consciously NOT look at it.
 
"Yeah, first all your friends get married and then everyone starts having babies."
Not everyone.
 
"OK this is the last one for a while, right?  There's an official ban on getting pregnant now! Haha!"
Don't worry about me, boss... my wonky uterus is already on indefinite lock-down.
 
Smile and nod.  Stuff face with more cake.  Repeat.

8 comments:

Julie Tiemann said...

I can't even imagine. You are such a trooper to deal with all of us who haven't walked that road and therefore say stupid things all.the.time.

But I have to say, your internal monologue - hilarious.

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

My single self feels your pain. I imagine being in a wedding for me is like being in a delivery room for you. Happy and wonderful and sucky all at the same time. Love you, bestie!

Jill said...

Always appreciate the humor and grace with which you respond...many (and most) can't do it. And I know your gift was the best..no doubts about that at all. Hang in there, and, as that lady told you a few months ago..keep trying. As for me, I'm going to keep praying.

Sherrie said...

Aww, sending you hugs!

Unknown said...

I hear ya Amanda! And feel the same. I was just at another baby-shower this week myself...they are never ending it seems...and here I am, still waiting...I always get the "so, when are you going to China?" questions...

Mary Beth said...

I'm right there with you too, trying to keep a smile on my face through it all. I get the China questions too, as well as "the look" from others. You know, the pity eyes and the "poor Pink, I know this must be hard for her" look. I know they mean well, but it makes me feel worse.

Jane H. said...

What a humorous blog entry! I love your writing style and will follow your blog more often. =)

I started a blog that I think you might like. It combines fashion and giving back to charities. Each week, I will give away 1 designer dress (this week it’s the Pink Adelson Shift from Lilly Pulitzer Spring 2010) to one lucky follower, who raises awareness of the blog's selected charity through various ways such as tweeting about it or commenting with an interesting fact. I am currently also giving away some great Lilly stationary items too. Please check out my blog at www.shop4charity.blogspot.com because doing good is chic!

just ask beth said...

Well, I feel for you I really do! A sweet girl in my office, same thing, 5 years of trying, no luck, endometreosis (SP) s they give up and her doc puts her on meds to put her in menopause and lo and behold Pregnant! 1st time ever pregnant! Sweet little girl born in Februay 7lbs. 10oz. When you least expect it... I am praying for a miracle for you too!