Thursday, January 8, 2009

Million Dollar Baby.

You can't put a price on a baby, or on love... but please check out this wonderful post from one of my favorite blogs, Chapters. Her mom hijacked her blog to publish this post - I love it! Times are tough, but we can all spare a dollar! Shoot, even send it out of your online banking so you don't have to use a stamp! (You know I like a bargain in any form.) Here's the text from the post...


A Dollar For My Daughter...

Amy has reluctantly allowed me to GUEST POST today. While she is somewhat uncomfortable with what I have dubbed the “harebrained idea,” she has agreed to let me present it to you, as I have previously done to my friends and family, with the hope that together we can make a huge difference in two deserving (that's subjective, Mom :-P) people’s lives.

I ask that you consider helping me with the following project: My daughter is among the seemingly growing number of young women who long for a baby and cannot conceive without fertility treatments. In her case, as in many others, none of the expensive treatments are covered by medical insurance...and it's both an emotional and costly process. My request is that you please consider the following 2 options to participate in "A Dollar For My Daughter":

1. Send a gift of $1 to the following address:
ADFMD
c/o 5085 W. Park Boulevard
Suite 300
Plano, TX 750932

If you feel comfortable doing so, forward this request (go to the envelope icon at the bottom of this post to forward via email) to any of your friends, family and/or business associates if you want to encourage them to participate...or you could even add a link to your blog about this if you feel called to do so.

I feel like it's important that you "know the facts" as you consider partnering with me to help Amy and DW in their journey - so I've asked her if I could share some personal details with you about the financial costs of infertility. The initial treatment (which they had savings to cover) consisted of the fertility injections with cycle monitoring costing $4,897. It was, unfortunately, unsuccessful. The second and, possibly, third rounds will cost approximately $2,500 each. In vitro fertilization (IVF), if ultimately required, costs approximately $15,000 per procedure. At the end of each phase, there is the potential for pregnancy and, therefore, treatments would then cease.

The idea is that your small gift, combined with those of others, will make a huge difference…just $1 at a time. If you would like to include your e-mail address with your gift, I will provide a periodic update. 100% of all gifts will be used for fertility-related medical bills only. If by some chance this request takes on a “life of its own” and there are gifts beyond her medical bills, all excess funds will be donated to a scholarship foundation for use by another couple requiring fertility treatments.

Many thanks in advance for your help,

Donna Metz

5 comments:

Muffy said...

Oh, how lovely! We can all spare one dollar!

Preppy Pearl Girl said...

Aww, I love this idea!
Everyone can spare 1 dollar!

Also, I always look forward to getting your comments, thanks for the one you left today! It was very helpful!

I hope you had a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

The Mrs. said...

Oh boy do I know how much it costs. We spent about $40,000 having Landon when it was alls and and done!

amy (metz) walker said...

Thank you for posting this! It was really mortifying to me when my mom asked to post this on my blog, but I truly realize how blessed I am to have someone to do this for me!

...and I'm so thankful for the support from people like you!

The Marden Family said...

It was so sweet of you to post this- I actually received the blog link from another friend and plan to send a few dollars today!