Thursday, April 3, 2008

Rounding up prayers...

Gosh, I feel like my last few posts have been so Debbie Downer! But I must take a moment to share this all with you, as it's been weighing so heavily on my mind all week. For my local blog buddies, I'm sure you all heard about the horrible hit-and-run accident that shut down 85-North Monday night. A huge collision was caused by this 20-year-old kid speeding and weaving in and out of traffic. People had actually called the police on this dumbass before the accident even occurred, because of his reckless driving. The accident that followed left 4 dead and others critically wounded. And what does the dumbass kid do? He keeps trucking up 85. The police of course found him later and he, his family, and his shady-with-a-capital-CHEESE lawyer are all saying he's not at fault. (Good luck with that defense, buddy.)

Among the dead were 3 of the same family - a 14 year old boy, his 21 year old sister and her 13 month old son. Also in the car were the kids' parents (both around 45), the 21 year old's fiance, and the driver (they were in a limo-type vehicle coming from the airport - the driver also died). The 45-year old mother had injuries, but is fine. Her husband is still in critical condition. Their daugther's fiance amazingly escaped almost untouched. This Tuesday I found out that members of this family live in my own little neighborhood. The surviving mother's sister, Sulianna, is in my Bunco group. Tuesday morning, before Sulianna's sister checked out of one hospital to go be by her husband's side in another, Sulianna had to tell her sister that she had lost her daughter, her son, her only grandchild, and that she may lose her husband too. I cannot even imagine. CANNOT imagine. Her entire family just ripped away from her in an instant...

So one of my wonderful neighbors (who I call the goodwill ambassador - she's like the ringleader of our Bunco group) spoke with Sulianna and is coordinating dinners and such for her. The hub and I are bringing them dinner Sunday. I hope a good meal will bring them a little comfort in such a horribly sad time. And if I haven't drug y'all down enough, take a second to read this wonderful article - it's really touching and just makes you want to run home and hold your family tight forever and ever. It also talks about some ways to help the family out if you're interested, but most of all, please just keep Sulianna and her family in your prayers. Please pray for her sister's husband to recover. She needs him more than ever right now. And give your loved ones an *extra* tight squeeze tonight!

Thanks, girls. I promise I'll come back with some more *happy* content soon. Alright, back to work... I got some mega number crunching to do!

8 comments:

Lauren @ Adventures of a Southern Newlywed said...

Oh my goodness. I am in tears. I will be praying for this family. I have lost loved ones over the years and it is an experience that I wish no one would have to go through. I just feel so sorry for them. I am praying for them in NC.

DebbieDo said...

OMG! I'm so sad I'm crying. That is one of the most awful stories I've ever read. I'm praying for the family and hoping the father makes a full recovery.

Just awful. :'(

Michelle said...

Oh, this was just the worst. We were coming up 85 right after this accident when it was still closed...it is just horrific. Please tell your friend that she and her family are getting prayers from all over. (((hugs)))

Preppy Lizard said...

Oh that is so horrible. I was tearing up just reading your post.
I will be praying for her and her family.

The Mrs. said...

I will say prayers for sure. That is so sad. I am so glad you are rallying around the families.

Lori said...

Oh my, how horrible~ I can't even imagine the pain this family is going through. I will say a special prayer for Sulianna and this family tonight and will keep them in my thoughts and prayers in the weeks ahead. Thanks for sharing this story and don't feel bad, it is very, very sad and not something we all like to hear, but it's life and we need to pray for others and help in whatever ways we can, so you did a good thing. Please keep us posted~ I will be praying.

Somewhere Between Pinot and Pacifiers said...

Oh my. That is horrible. I live 2 1/2 hrs. from Atl and we usually hear some Atl news but I had not heard this. I will keep that family in my prayers. I can not imagine the pain they must be going through. Thank you for passing the story along. Have a good weekend!

Mrs LSL said...

That story is just horrible. I saw it on the news, and it just broke my heart. It makes me furious too - that irresponsible guy. I am definitely keeping them in my prayers, so please keep us posted on how they are doing.