Thursday, September 1, 2011

Maternity Goodies

In case you've forgotten, I have a *mild* obsession with maternity wear - have for years. So to be able to actually wear maternity clothes now is a total thrill. For the most part. As my belly is really starting to pop, I'm learning what kinds of clothes I like and don't like. And there are so many designers and brands out there that I love to drool over (Isabella Oliver for one), but it turns out I have more of an Old Navy budget. Which is totally fine - for the price, I think their line is pretty stellar - especially the basics. Some of their stores have a maternity section, but all the ones I've visited pretty much suck. The selection is VERY limited, but I will sometimes find a decent piece on clearance. But to really get a feel for what they've got, you have to go online. Most of their maternity collection is online only - which is kind of annoying, but whatever.

Luckily, my maternity wear obsession led me to collect quite a number of pieces over the years for "future use." So once I finally got here, I found myself with a ridiculous amount of maternity tops - especially tanks and tees. All bought on clearance, of course! But really, it worked out great in the end because I find myself nearly suited for my entire pregnancy - at least on my top half. Bottoms are more of an issue. Those are kind of hard to nail down until you're actually there. So now that I'm getting bigger, I've been hunting down some good options for my bottom half. And so far, this skirt has by far been my favorite maternity purchase to date...





This is the maternity maxi skirt from Old Navy, which I got on sale (duh). It seriously feels like jammies. It has a simple fold over waist that you can wear over the belly or under. And you can totally wear this later post-pregnancy. I got both colors since I knew this would be a staple for fall! My whole game plan for fall (especially at the office) is maternity tanks and tees with cardis. And like I said, the tanks and tees are more than covered.

I want to wait till I'm a little bigger, but my next big hunt will be for a pair of great jeans. And possibly some fun outfits for showers, but other than that, I really don't need much at all. So what were your favorite maternity pieces? Where was your go-to place to shop?

Oh and we finally took my 18 week belly shot - I'll get that posted later today or tomorrow!

8 comments:

Melissa said...

I lived in Old Navy clothes and stuff from the Motherhood outlet. So comfy!

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

If you know what size you like in more expensive brands (like jeans), try ebay. I would think you could score some great deals. Also, consinment shops. You can even just call them and say you are looking for x size in abc brands. They will write it down and then call you if they get those things in. I do that will Lilly up here all the time. Then I don't waste time/gas driving all over when they don't have what I am looking for.

Amy said...

Motherhood Maternity by MOG always had such cute stuff at great prices. I also did Target for basics but the quality isn't the best and the pants did not fit right! I preferred stretchy wasted pants with a small panel to one with a button and side gathers because they never are comfy when you sit down if your baby sits low like both of mine did.

Kelly said...

Hmmm. I posted once but i think it got deleted. Anyways, I LOVED Asos.com when I was pregnant. That and i had a bunch of stuff from Rosie Pope as i live by her shop. Her stuff is pricey, but her line is designed to be worn post pregnancy as well which is awesome. I wanted to avoid anything looking frumpy and untailored, so I loved those two places. Plus asos has great sales. Just make sure you choose the USD option on there and not the GBP.

Jill said...

My favorite stuff ended up being from Gap..not sure if they are still doing maternity, but they had (back in 2009) a store in the back of the Baby Gap at lenox and I'd hit up their sale rack somewhat regularly and got some great stuff. Just know that what you like in the middle is not necessarily what you'll like at the end..especially when it comes to jeans. I made a rookie mistake: I bought a nice pair of jeans fairly early thinking "I'll invest and wear them ALL the time" (since I wear jeans to work)..yeah, those were KILLING me and unwearable by later in the pregnancy, and I then enjoyed some cheaper ones with the full belly covering. (something I thought I'd hate). So, not that you would do otherwise, but stick to the cheap. =)

Mrs EyeCanSee said...

Loved ON maternity! The only crappy part like you said, is it's pretty much online only. They have great sales though!

Also check out Target, I got some super cute stuff there! And Gap jeans where my fave!

The Gist Fam said...

For jeans, Kohl's has a GREAT selection, and you can usually find them on sale. I think I got my 2 pairs for 50% off each...so 2 for 1 basically. I wore jeans every day to work, so they got a ton of use, and they held up really well. I think the brand is Oh Baby, which is a sub-brand of Motherhood Maternity.

funfavorites said...

I bought high end maternity jeans on ebay. I lived in Gap maternity pants, but they all had a totally different fit. I had to ship and return way too many times. It wasn't worth it. H&M also has fun maternity pieces. Khols had cute cargo pants that I wore before and after. Have fun shopping!