Saturday, February 26, 2011

R.I.P. Javis Davis

I was just minding my own business this week when Lucky emailed me alerting me to the fact that Javis Davis was closing its doors. WHAT?! If you're unfamiliar with this great family-owned business out of Fairhope, Alabama, they make incredible custom crib (and big kid) bedding for amazing prices. I actually sold for them a couple of years ago and still have tons of swatches and samples. I have drooled over this company for 6+ years and dreamed of one day designing a set for my own baby. From day one, I've known that when the time comes, I'm getting my bedding from Javis Davis. No question. But now they're closing.



I totally understand... Mary Lou (the owner) is my mom's age and I'm sure she's ready to hang her hat up. But, ugh, I'm SO sad! Curse you, uterus! Now I'm back to square one on bedding. Lucky suggested I go ahead and order a gender neutral design now so I can have it for later. (Javis Davis is still taking orders but will close at the end of March - so HURRY if you want to order anything.) But my style is WAY too picky... even if I could afford to buy a girl set and a boy set right now, I just can't. My ideas change every week. I won't know exactly what I want to do until I'm pregnant and find inspiration somewhere.



The nursery is a big hairy deal to me. Big, HUGE. I've been planning it for years. Shoot, when we built this house 6 years ago I picked out fixtures and styling specifically for a nursery. On our house plans and change orders that room was referred to as "the nursery." We still call it the nursery. I seriously get annoyed with fertiles who haphazardly throw together their baby's room at the last minute. What the hell? I've had this planned for years and I'm not even pregnant. Why are you dragging your feet? As if it's a chore or something. *Eye roll*

Rant aside, I really am bummed to see this business go. Javis Davis, you will be greatly missed! So I guess the search is on for other custom bedding options. The bedding in a bag thing just isn't going to cut it for me. I'm not into matchy-matchy and I'm just way too particular. I'm all for garage sale strollers and hand-me-down clothes, but my kid's going to have one kick ass nursery.

6 comments:

preppy little dress AKA "PLD" said...

That sucks! I hate it when stores close! Sadly, it's a sign of the times! :(

4DsfromLHP said...

Sorry this happened to you! I understand your desire for "the perfect nursery". Check out this site where I bought mine. They have some beautiful fabrics. (I ordered through a local store in my town, but this is their website.) I have no connection to this business, just wanted to share! http://www.navasdesigns.com/

Jill said...

SO sad. LOVE their stuff. Since I'm a gender neutral girl (and will be if we ever have another again) I MAY order something before the end of March...but then again, it seems so presumptuous...not knowing if we'll ever use it. Hmm...but I just love their stuff. So beautiful!

Michelle said...

Oh gosh, I understand why you hate to see them go! That bedding is delish!!! I love, love, love decorating nurseries! Even though I had the chance to do it 3 times I took it very seriously each and every time and they each had their very own distinct looks (even though we used the same furniture all 3 times but never the some bedding/fabrics, etc.). It is a special place and you will be spending a lot of time in there so make it a place you love!

Ruth said...

OH that sucks! The items you put up are so cute.

Pretty Personal Gifts said...

I was surprised when I heard they were closing. What's not to love right?

I've been a follower of yours for some time. We make custom nursery bedding & decor. I live very close to PPC so if you ever need help designing a set, look me up!