Friday, December 24, 2010

Christmas Eve in the Kitchen!

Merry, Merry Christmas Eve to you all! I love hearing about other family traditions for Christmas. My side of the family has never had a big tradition on Christmas Eve. We don't open any gifts or have a big meal. We just kind of figure it out each year and go with it. This year we're going to the 4 o'clock service at church and my parents are coming back here afterward for pot roast! What are you doing for Christmas Eve?

Among several other things going on in the kitchen today, I've got the roast going in the crockpot. I'll be sharing my Christmas recipes in the works for tomorrow, but up first is my easy-peasy crockpot roast recipe. The ultimate comfort food...


Slow-cooker Pot Roast

- 3-4lb beef pot roast (I also do this with pork sometimes, but nothin' beats good ole red meat for this recipe)
- 3-4 potatoes, chopped (really however many you can squeeze in there)
- baby carrots (I like lots - however many you can fit)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 packet onion soup mix
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can water
- salt and pepper to taste
- white or brown rice, prepared separately (if desired)


Place your roast in your crockpot - you'll want a good size pot for this if you like lots of veggies! Rub the roast with salt and pepper.



To me, the veggies are just as fun as the meat. I personally like big potato chunks with the skin on...



...and big ole onion slices - lots of 'em!



Dump all your veggies, including the carrots, in the crockpot. I literally just keep adding them till I can't squeeze any more in!



Prepare the sauce my mixing the cream of mushroom soup, onion soup mix, water, salt and pepper. Pour over your roast and veggies, cover and cook on low all day. Set it and forget it!



Once I arrive home, welcomed by the awesome aroma of pot roast, I immediately throw some brown rice in the rice cooker to serve the roast on. Tonight we're also serving it alongside a tossed salad of romaine, gorgonzola, tomatoes, and toasted sunflower seeds. Nom nom nom!

More recipes to come... Merry Christmas!

3 comments:

Fay said...

Sounds so good! I am going to try this recipe this winter. Merry Christmas!

Sandra said...

Best way to do a roast in my opinion!! Merry, merry Christmas. xoxo

katie lake said...

My FSIL gave me a crockpot this evening for Christmas. I knew I was getting it (it had kind of become a joke) so I promised M I would make him a pot roast. Very convenient for you to post this tonight!