Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Grateful.

I hope you all had a wonderful Mother's Day!  It's a bitter sweet day for me... I always say that Mother's Day is to the infertiles what Valentine's Day is to the singles.  No matter what it is, it's always hard when everyone around you is celebrating something you can't have.  Honestly, the media is what makes it unbearable sometimes... the actual "day" isn't all that bad.  But anyway, we choose to make Mother's Day about celebrating our moms and focusing on making it special for them!  So that's what we did.  My mom and dad joined us for church Sunday morning and then later that afternoon we had them over to our house for shrimp kabobs.  Yum!  Here was our menu...

 

- Homemade red sangria

- Spring mix salad with goat cheese, roasted sunflower seeds, tomatoes and creamy balsamic dressing

- Shrimp and veggie kabobs over rice pilaf

- And a really fancy boxed brownie dessert!  Though, I have to say, I only like brownies out of the box.  Ghirardelli Dark Chocolate Supreme - I dare you to make anything better!  Not possible.

 

Our weekend was rather action-packed from start to finish, as they all have been lately... so I decided to stay home yesterday and put my domestic diva hat on.  I had a mountain of laundry to tackle and our closet was a mess.  So I got a lot of stuff done and feel MUCH better about starting the work week now.

 

Saturday we were running around and that afternoon we had a party to attend on a house boat.  It was a good time... for the first 2 hours.  But when the boat was still out past 11pm, I was wishing I could call in a helicopter.  I'm just NOT a late night person and I was so ready to get home.  Plus we had to be up early the next morning for church - not cool.

 

But here's how my weekend started off...  I left work a little early on Friday because it was a friggin' ghost town at the office.  My dad had caught this post on my blog and as I was pulling into my garage at home, I saw on my blackberry that he had sent this message.  I just sat in my car and cried...  so thankful and so blessed to have such amazing parents that are behind us all the way.  Infertility can be so lonely and incredibly isolating.  You often just get forgotten and the world continues to spin on without you.  Having the people that matter to you supporting you, and more importantly, saying so again and again - that's what keeps you going...
 


Sent: Fri, May 7, 2010

Subject: Like You Like Me

 

I read your blog this morning and it made me think about how much you and I are alike in so many ways.  Like you, I'm much better at using a keyboard than my mouth.  That's true for me both professionally and personally --- I even have a reputation for it at work.  I also have a comfort level with letting [Mom] handle most of the communication with you and [the hub] on my behalf.  I feel guilty that I don't talk with you more, but tend to hold back because [Mom] chats/emails with you all of the time.  If we're both coming at you from different directions, I feel like it might be too much.  I don't know if that's right or not, but it's just where my head is.  I value my privacy and know you do too.  So, I leave it to you to straighten me out if that's not the case.  I'm just sensitive to the idea that you and [the hub] have your own life to live, and don't want us to be a burden or dominating in any way.

 

What I'm really trying to say is that I love you and you mean the world to me.  I feel it and think it all the time, but just don't say it --- so as Gran would often tell me when I bugged him about something, "I need to work on that".  I'm sure you probably know but if you don't, [Mom] and I talk a lot about the challenge you and [the hub] have with making babies.  So, I need to say and you need to know that I desperately want to help you both get there in any way I can --- just as much as [Mom] does.  There are no boundaries we wouldn't cross to help make it happen.  We are both behind you one-thousand percent.  You and [the hub] just need to decide on the path and let us know how we can help get you there.

 

I'm sitting here with my door closed and tears in my eyes, so I better move on before somebody comes barging in.

You have a wonderful new year ahead of you, so keep your spirits high with a smile on your face and in your heart, because I know good things are coming your way.

 

With all my love,

Dad

12 comments:

Well I Do Declare said...

That made me cry! I know it is something you will cherish forever. Thanks for sharing it!

Erica said...

Wow! Your Dad is amazing! He just brought tears to my eyes. What a special relationship you two must have.

Renee said...

What an amazing Daddy you have!!

Julie Tiemann said...

Um, so I'm crying. Wow. I know that you want what a lot of people have, in terms of kids, but you probably know that a lot of people don't have a dad like that - you are blessed for sure! Still praying for you!

Jill said...

I've got tears in my eyes too. Just precious!!!

Ally said...

You have a GREAT dad!!! Dads are the BEST....Moms are great too though.

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

What a good daddy!!

Lisa said...

Wow, what a tear jerker. You are lucky to have such a great dad!! So sweet.

Heather said...

Oh my gosh, that message from your dad is so sweet. What a nice man. I love it.
On another note, I made those exact same brownies this week and they crumbled like crazy. I wonder what I did wrong. (The tiny crumbles did taste good though...)

GOING GREEN! Newsletter said...

Shewwwww girl. Talk about water-works! Your Dad's letter was so sweet and honest. Like you! :) -c

Ellen said...

So very sweet! It's so important to have the support of loved ones.
You have been on my mind lately...we are also trying to start a family, and I'm realizing it's not as easy as people think!
Praying for you...just keep the faith (which I know is hard to do), and it will happen. I truly believe that God would not have given you a mother's heart if you were not meant to be one.

Leslie said...

I also have tears in my eyes. I'm so glad you have amazing people in your life like your dad to support you through everything!

If you're a brownie person, check out the recipe for Foster's Market Brownies and also Barefoot Contessa's Brownie Pudding. Both yummy, especially the Brownie Pudding!