Monday, June 8, 2009

Are you ready for some football?

OK so who had the best Saturday this past weekend? I did, I did! As I mentioned, kuntry bride, my friend Paige, and I all went up to Athens for Football 101 for women up at UGA. It's a program they started 5 or 6 years ago that has had a lot of success. Basically, the Georgia football coaches put together an entire day of football fun for ladies only... we learn about the game (more than you would ever want to know), we get access to all the private stuff like the locker room and all the fab facilities the football players use everyday. They fed us a great seated lunch at the Georgia Center while Coach Mark Richt answered questions from the audience. (And yes, fellow Dawgs, he's even cuter in person. I got his autograph and he's got big hands. FYI.) Then later in the afternoon we got to throw on some jerseys and go out on the practice fields and put what we learned to work (sorta). Oh and (again, fellow Dawgs) I rode an elevator down with Mike Bobo at one point - just us two. That was kinda funny... we had a bit of awkward small talk. He was the QB when I started at UGA and is now the offensive coordinator.

I gotta tell you, I have a whole new appreciation for our football players. Ninety minutes outside in the heat and I was done. Like forever. After some fun on the field, we walked up campus a bit to the stadium and got to go out on the field to get a player's view. Pretty wicked, indeed. Probably a lil different when it's filled with 100,000 screaming fans, but yeah.... still cool. And we also got to peek inside the boys' locker room at the stadium. Which is cool, because now I can actually picture where they are at halftime when Coach Richt is chewing our boys out pumping our boys up for the second half!

Saturday got me ALL geared up for football season and it's only June... haha! Georgia girls, if you ever get the chance to do this, DO it! It sells out every year and I just happened to get lucky... I was able to snag my boss' tickets by chance this year. It's a very limited event and it sells out wicked fast. Anyway, hope you enjoy the pics (they're kinda lousy because they're all from my phone - we were so unprepared!)...

Waiting in line for a photo opp and autograph from Mark Richt - UGA's head coach.




Professor Mike Bobo teaching us some plays. This went WAY over our heads. Information overload.



This was a video viewing room where the players watch... videos. Loved the giant Uga! And that "Finish the Drill" motto was EVERYWHERE.



The locker room was seriously the coolest part. Pretty damn swanky. This was one of many "halls" of lockers.



A closer look at some of the lockers. Inside each one (you can't see it here), they had brass plates with every past player that wore that particular number. Lots of history here...



This is the ceiling in the center of the locker room. The halls of lockers extend from every side and this open area is in the middle.




We also got a peek inside the weight room and the head trainer talked about their workouts and a couple of the players came out and did some hefty demonstrations for us. Remind me never to complain about my workouts ever again!



They had countdown clocks to all the big rival games. This one was my favorite.



Here we are outside getting coached by Tereshinski


Huddlin' up. Can you tell which one I am?!

Sanford Stadium


Looks a little different without all the fans!

11 comments:

Gracie Beth said...

Hmm....I think even being raised in George I will pass this one up ;P

Sandra said...

Oh my gosh! A girlfriend and I are doing this Friday with the Vols Coach Kiffin!! So excited. I will do a post about mine, too! Mark Richt is such an awesome human being. {Yes, this die-hard UT, my blood runs orange fan said that} Have you ever seen the video about the child he and his wife adopted? Glad it was such fun!!!

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

OMG OMG!! Holy green with envy! Soooo fabulous! Love the locker roomsi just so neat! And Mark...drool! So happy you had a fabu time.

Lucky in Love said...

That is too fun!

I love those countdown clocks too! I had never seen that before...

Anonymous said...

SOOOOO JEALOUS!!!
LOOKS LIKE Y'ALL HAD FUN.

Jill said...

I SO have to go to this next year!! So glad you got to go - sounds awesome! Football season can't come soon enough...

Elizabeth said...

This looks like SO much fun!!! I love their locker room - not how I would have expected it to look.

BroncoMom said...

Ok Betty, I AM JEALOUS!!!
That looks and reads like a little bit of BULLDAWG heaven to me.
How can I find out about tickets? Is there a website? Please let me know!
BroncoMom.is.ann@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

I was born in GA and lived there 'till I was 3 so I just grew up liking the dawgs, what a neat thing to do!

Ky said...

hello hello! make sure you stop by my blog...I have a little sometnin' somethin' for you!
P.S. LOVE GA!!!

News Readin' Wife said...

Told the husband who proceeded to freak out and demand that I enroll next year.

Sounds like fun (minus the heat)...and I could definitely get used to staring at Mark Richt all day. :)

Left you a little love - so stop by if you have a chance.