Thursday, November 6, 2008

A quick Dave update.

It's been a few since I updated y'all on our baby steps to financial freedom! Our baby emergency fund has been fully funded - I think I gave a big woot-woot to that already. We're looking forward to going full-force-gazelle-intense with baby step #2 here soon, but we've got to get the car situation worked out first. Phoebe, my good and faithful '98 Honda Accord, was dropped off just a couple of hours ago to get a fresh paint job. Poor little love... she needs it so bad and I feel like a terrible momma for letting her get so ghetto. But all is well, because she is getting her much needed makeover!

So the big Yahoo!'s since my last Dave update... (1) the hub started a new job this week! He is totally pumped - it's a total career change for him, so it's a little scary but also super exciting. And hey, that whole paycheck thing is great! We loves it. He also has another little side gig that should help us too. (2) We sold two pieces of furniture! We've still got the Restoration Hardware chest up for grabs, and I also just posted a bedroom set on craigslist. If those two sell for our asking price, we'll have our car replacement fund fully funded. Which would be AWESOME because... (3) We sold the 4runner! And um, should you ever need to sell a car - totally go with Auto Trader. People would NOT stop calling. We had a buyer in less than 24 hours and we got $5k more than Carmax offered. We broke even on the sale, but that was our goal. And that car payment is GONE! I can't even tell you how amazing it feels to know that we will never ever ever have a car payment again ever ever!!! (4) We made it through our first full month on Dave's zero-based budget. It was hard to put together at first. We had never been on a real budget before - ever. But we knew we had to go full force here to make this work. And OMG... I freaking love it. It's only been one month, but I'm hooked. And thanks to learning how to give every dollar a name before it comes in, (5) we've been giving like never before. And that feels amazing.

We are just super excited about all those accomplishments and are eager to get to step 2. Like I said, we're still in a holding pattern of sorts since all our extra income is going toward a new car. And by new, I mean a $3,000 beater that we'll be paying cash for. But soon enough, we'll be in full-on attack mode. Currently tattooed on my brain is Proverbs 22:7, which tells us "the borrower is servant to the lender." Not anymore, bitches! Cheeeeeetahhhhhhhh!!!! (OK, I realize only Dave fans will get that, but whatev.)

So thanks so much for your continued prayers! We are really making killer progress and are more motivated than ever. I can't wait to see where we are by the end of the year! :-)

10 comments:

Gracie Beth said...

Dave Ramsey is one smart guy...I think its because he is a Tennessee grad ;)

teresa-bug said...

What great news! I have been listening to Dave's CD's and am anxious to get started. Right now I don't have a job, so it is a bit hard to budget $0.00. BUT! I am armed with the knowledge and desire to get on board as soon as I am employed! Congrats on the progress!

Mona said...

Congratulations on your forward financial momentum and progress!

The Pink Owl said...

Great news! You are inspiring me to try this!!

Lauren @ Adventures of a Southern Newlywed said...

That's great news! I am so excited for you and your husband!

Erica said...

CHEETAH!!!!! Way to go Betty & Hubs! I'm impressed. The zero-based is HARD work!

Sandra said...

Very inspiring to read this. I need to get on board with this...esp. since I have retired!

Renee said...

OMG! I laughed out loud at the Cheetah! My husband and I throw that out there when we are having a rough time wanting to stick to the budget but it is the BEST!!

Jill said...

Congrats on the Dave Ramsey! We did this a few years ago and the process is HARD but so very worth it.

LSU Melanie said...

Yippie!!!!! I can't wait for the day when I can yell "FREEDOM!!!!"...
But for now, like you, I will continue to live like no one else, so that later I can live no one else...congrats on your progress!!!!!!!