Friday, October 23, 2009

Need some white noise. Pronto.

OK mommas, quick question...  I need to find a white noise machine this weekend.  Does this require a trip to Babies 'r Us?  Target?  I know this is one of the #1 essentials for newborns, so I'm hoping you all have some opinions to share on which brand/style is best.  I, however, need this not for a crying baby, but for my three yapping dogs.  The mission:  to get my pups crated in the basement with a noise machine that will block out (as much as possible) the sounds (of the humans) from upstairs.  And we have hardwoods and tile, so there's lots of clackity-clackity going on when we move around. 
 
So what I need is a decent white noise machine that is LOUD enough to block out other sounds,  but cheap enough that I won't cry when I make the purchase.  I've been digging around Amazon's site for different types and reading the reviews and dammit if those suckers aren't expensive!  I do not need a fancy or cute one.  This is for the dogs.  It will not ultimately end up in my someday-nursery.  I will be more concerned with cuteness later.  This one can be ugly as sin - I don't care.  It just needs to be affordable and effective.
 
So give me your recs, please... ready, set, GO!
 
And I hope you ladies have fab weekends lined up.  I've got BBQ pork going in the crockpot at home - mmmm!  And tomorrow is a bridal and baby shower extravaganza...  I've got a marathon of showers starting at 11am.  I actually was invited to four, but I can only manage three.  Seriously.  Is October 24th like the day of showers or something?  Geez.  I've got to figure out what to wear.  Sunday we have church and brunch afterwards with some friends.  Then I'll be slaving away on Lucky's wedding invites.  Action-packed!  Have safe and happy weekends, girls! xoxoxo

8 comments:

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

What about putting an ad in the wanted section of craigslist for a used one?

Breezy said...

Hope you have a GREAT weekend, we got our sound machine from Target, it wasn't more than $20...it's ::runs to connor's room:: "Homemedics" It has 6 different "sounds" (the waterfall one is the whitenoise) a timer (which you don't have to use), it plugs in (or uses batteries I think) and has a dial volume control. We've used it everynight all night for almost 11 months now and it's still going strong! (I think it gets pretty darn loud!)
Here's the link (and oops, it's $25)
http://www.target.com/HoMedics-Sound-SPA-Relaxation-Machine/dp/B0009Y2E42/ref=sr_1_22?ie=UTF8&searchView=grid5&frombrowse=0&node=1038576&keywords=homedics&field_browse=1038576&searchSize=30&id=HoMedics%20Sound%20SPA%20Relaxation%20Machine&field_availability=-2&refinementHistory=subjectbin%2Ctarget_com_age%2Ctarget_com_gender-bin%2Ctarget_com_character-bin%2Cprice%2Ctarget_com_primary_color-bin%2Ctarget_com_size-bin%2Ctarget_com_brand-bin&searchNodeID=1038576&field_launch-date=-1y&searchRank=relevancerank&searchPage=3&field_keywords=homedics
(check the "find it at a target store" thing b/c some of the stores are out of stock.

StephanieG said...

I registered for 2 and bought a 3rd kind myself because I was super worried about my 2 (precious) LOUD dogs waking up the babe.

Upon testing and investigating all 3, the cheapest was actually the loudest. Which is ALL I care about. I ended up keeping the "Conair Infant Sound Machine - SU7" and couldn't be happier! It came from Target.

http://tinyurl.com/yzubym5

Poolside with the Girls said...

I have one from Brookstone. It has 11 different sounds. It was around $100 but it was totally worth it.

Mrs. Everything said...

Totally agree about the one from Homedics... The rain or waterfall is great white noise and super loud... 19.99 at Target or Walmart... at Walmart its in by the candles and in the baby section at Target.

Susannah said...

I have had the best sound machine for the past 4 years! It's from Bed Bath and Beyond. It was 20 dollars-it has lots of different sounds, but rain is the best-you can set a timer up to an hour and it plugs in. It's rad and cheap-should be just right!

Susan said...

My little one is a super light sleeper. We bought the SleepMate 980A. It's expensive but worth every penny. You can change the tone and volume. When you have a baby it will really pay off! We got it at sleepwellbaby.com

AMStarkey said...

The best one is from Hammacher Schlemmer! They have two versions one for about $50 and another one that is a bit more expensive. I SWEAR by them!