Thursday, November 15, 2007

Doctor, Doctor, give me the news!

OK so we had the follow-up consultation with my doctor early this morning. He told us pretty much what I was expecting to hear, as far as what's going on up in my uterus. I really hate the word uterus, by the way... I hate saying it. It's just an icky word - which is why I often refer to it as my "oven" instead. Males especially cringe at the term. Anyway, there does appear to be a residual septum left in my oven - which may or may not be an issue. I love those open-ended answers. Nothing is ever black and white in the world of infertility, I've learned! So in other words... a 3rd surgery may be necessary.

BUT my doctor recommended, and we agreed, to just give it a go on our own for a few months and see what happens. He really wants to attack the fertility issue and not worry too much about the septum issue right now. The septum, as it stands alone, is not necessarily an infertility issue - I could get preggers having a septate uterus - er - oven... but I would most likely miscarry, as it makes for a not-so-suitable environment for the bun. So here is our plan of attack...
  • Try (completely) on our own for 3 months (and our recent try counts as month one, so really just 2 more months) and if that doesn't work...
  • I'll be put on Chlomid and we'll start trying with IUI (turkey baster) for 3 additional months, and if that doesn't work...
  • We'll move onto IVF (groan!) and if that is the case, we will definitely have to do the 3rd surgery to get me as "perfect" as possible before shelling out the big bucks. I have no idea where those are gonna come from... haha!

So, we're of course *really* hoping for some success within these next few months. I'm really excited about trying again and if we could get it done on our own, that would be SO great. Nothing is cheap about any of these treatments, and we are already thousands of dollars in. Mission number one is to get preggers soon... and then mission number two is to hold on tight to my baby because I will certainly be a high-risk pregnancy. If I do get pregnant, the plan is for my fertility doctor to keep a super close eye on me through the crucial first trimester. If we make it out of the 1st trimester, he's confident any residual septum I have will not be an issue. So even though I would be SUPER excited to get a positive pregnancy test in the next few months, it will also be a long first trimester.

I have had so many friends lately that have miscarried and I told the hub that we are NOT sharing any baby news till we are in the clear. I just don't want the attention of "OMG you're finally pregnant - yay!" only to make those "nevermind" calls a few weeks later. So yeah - the first trimester is going to be a LONG one. Which is another reason I'm so happy to have this blog as an outlet, because believe me I'll be shouting it from the rooftops (of my blog) when I see that double line or smiley face or "pregnant" on that pee stick. So of course my bestest will know - shoot, I wouldn't keep it from her anyway... but we're really going to do our best to keep it on the DL till we're "safe."

So here's to a productive few months ahead! I'm praying I'll have some fun news to share before too long! I know we'll get there someday. Someday soon is extra fun though. :-)

7 comments:

DebbieDo said...

I wish you luck. I always like the feeling of having a plan, it's the waiting that sucks.

hang in there and we will be her for you when you are "shouting" and supporting you 100%

The Mrs. said...

Glad you're gonna be trying again! Make it happen! I will say a prayer. We're trying for one more month and then it's IVF city!

Lori said...

Ooohh, I hope so too!! And I hope soon! I will pray for you and keep hoping the best as always. :)

Somewhere Between Pinot and Pacifiers said...

Good luck to you! I hope things will definitely go your way!

Traci Anne said...

Good luck!!! Y'all are in my prayers!!!

Deb said...

I will certainly keep you in our prayers! We faced those same issues a few years back......my life was one big rollercoaster every month! I hope you will be able to paste a big smiley face on your blog real soon! :)

Tres Poshe Preppy said...

Good luck! I hope you get good news soon!