Thursday, April 19, 2012

One of "those" days.

I suppose I was bound to have one this week.  Things were just going a little *too* smoothly, you know?  I mean I hadn't shed a tear yet this week, despite starting Sam in school and returning to work.  And then there was yesterday.  We'll just do a bullet point recap here of my day...
 
- Getting out the door went smoothly.  I've been doing as much prep the night before as possible to make the mornings easy.  As I'm heading out to the car, Scott reminds me we need gas.  Drats... it's raining and I'm already a little behind.  Still on time though, so no biggie.  Until I get to the gas pump and can't find my debit card.  Now keep in mind we don't have credit cards and I didn't have any cash on me, so if I don't have my debit card, I'm SOL.  I suppose I could write a check, but do gas stations even take checks?  So I'm racking my brain (which is now WAY harder than it used to be) trying to figure out where it was.  Where was the last place I used it?  I called the hub to see if he had it for some reason.  I couldn't come up with anything but all I could think to do was to return home and search.  It hit me on the way back that I had pulled out my card and license and stuck them in a smaller bag for the Gwinnett Braves game we went to Friday night.  Yeah, so I'd been roaming around for FIVE days with no license or money.
 
- Yesterday at work (once I finally got there) was quiet.  Day after the big deadline, so pretty much the whole tax department was out.  So I brought in some picture frames from home and decided to upload some pics to have printed at Walmart.  Got them uploaded, ordered, and paid for online.  Maybe 15 minutes later I got a text saying they were ready for pick-up.  I waited a good 30 minutes though before leaving.  Now keep in mind that I don't usually take a lunch break - so this was meant to be a very fast in-and-out trip to Wally World.  That turned into an hour.  I get there and no one is at the photo center.  I ring the bell.  Nothing.  Finally pull someone out of the entertainment section to try and help me.  He looks for my order.  Nothing.  Informs me that they tried paging the photo girl earlier but don't know where she is.  Awesome.  She finally shows up after I've been there at least 15 minutes.  No apologies.  Finds my photos and still has to cut them (so no, they weren't really ready).  I grab them and run out the door because this has already taken way longer than I intended.  I decide to hop on the interstate to get back a little faster.  Um, big mistake.  Bumper to bumper traffic, so I bypass the interstate and take another back way to my office.  So it took like 3x as long as it should have to get back.  And at one stop light or another I'm looking at my pictures that took flippin' forever to print, only to realize that two of them have horrible spots on them and are totally unusable.  Good thing Sam was not in the car to overhear my obscenities. 
 
- Then I get home with Sam, expecting to walk in to the glorious smell of dinner in the crockpot.  Only to find that I failed to turn it on properly when I left the house that morning.  And that's when I lost it.  I was feeling SO accomplished, having stayed up chopping vegetables and assembling the stew the night before so that ALL I had to do that morning was dump it in and turn on the damn pot.  But no, that's just too easy.  Instead my crockpot was flashing "No soup for you, DUMBASS."  So I proceeded to set Sam down, trying not to scream at the dogs who were incessantly barking, and dumped the entire contents of the pot down the drain while crying.
 
And that's when your sweet hubby knows you need a burger and fries from Steak 'n Shake.  (Thanks, hun.)
 
Yeah, I'm going to have those days... but my little Sammy Sam makes it all OK.  We bumped his bedtime up to 6:30pm last night.  He did wake up once (at 1:15am) but I figured he might the first time or two.  I know he'll adjust quickly.  He has taken 3-hour naps first thing in the morning the last couple of days at daycare, so I knew he wasn't getting enough sleep at night.  Plus I think that schedule will work really well for us.  I can still get lots done after he goes to bed and also manage to get to bed early myself.  It's a work in progress!  And despite the crappy day yesterday, I say it's going really well overall.  Today's my last day of work this week.  My parents will normally keep Sam on Fridays (he's only at school 4 days a week), but they're out of town.  So it's Mommy and Sam day tomorrow!  Can't wait...

4 comments:

Kim said...

Sorry you had one of those days! It sounds like you bounced back and handled it like a pro.

I HATE having photos printed anywhere local, it seems I always have some sort of problem that makes my blood pressure rise. I have just resorted to the fact that ordering through an online service is much easier on me! :-)

Lisa said...

Sorry about your crappy day :(

I've always felt like the worst days make even the just-okay days feel awesome! All in perspective...hope today is better for you!

Jill said...

Once I had a baby I quickly embraced the mantra "sometimes good enough is good enough" and quit trying to do everything, and do everything perfectly. The sweet wee one is what matters most! Embrace those early bedtime evening hours. Before you know it you'll have a little toddler scooting out of bed several times, saying "mama, I juss wanna tell you ONE more fing before I go ta sleep".

Julie Tiemann said...

Poor friend. I haaaate days like that - where you feel like you just can't win. I hope your day with Sam boy made it so much better!