Friday, May 2, 2008

Getting ready for Mother's Day...

I ran by the mall on my way home yesterday to try and get my Mother's Day gifts taken care of. I wasn't altogether sure what I was getting, but at least wanted to get some ideas. My mall is huge but I joke that one little corner was made just for me because J. Crew, Pottery Barn, and Banana are all next door to each other. So I don't have to walk a half mile to get to different places - a big plus. And Nordstrom is a hop and a skip away, so I rarely venture out from this little stretch of the mall. Anyway, I first browsed J. Crew, because why not? I buy most of my stuff from there online, but I occassionally run in the store to see what's on clearance because it's not always the same sale items they have online. I was a good girl though - focusing on the moms here!

Empty-handed, I then walked in Pottery Barn. My parents have spent the last year completely redoing their backyard. They hired a professional landscape architect and literally gutted the area and started from scratch. It's just now really coming together - I'll have to take some pics! I'm already envisioning some sweet garden parties back there. Anyway... I wanted to check out some of Pottery Barn's outdoor tableware to see if they had anything cute. I stumbled upon these placemats on clearance - exactly 6 of them - perfect! It was meant to be. My mom is crazy for placemats and I think these will look great on her table outside. The ones pictured are cork, but I actually got the linen version (like the napkins). They're trimmed in yellow too - SO cute.





Since those were half off, I looked for something to compliment. Maybe some acrylic outdoor barware? PB's is overpriced in my opininon, but cute. So I got some of the double old-fashioned glasses - a set of 6 - to complete the gift. My parents love sipping on a good gin and tonic so these will be perfect. They didn't have a pic online of the ones I got, but this is the style...




Then for my MIL, I went back to J. Crew to reconsider some cute handbags I saw. She loves bags and they just got in these super cute summer bags. They didn't have a pic of the one I ended up with - it's this gorgeous floral pattern that I fell in love with - but here's a madras version of the same...


How cute is that?! Love it. I was so excited to get Mom's day taken care of a good week or so out. I tend to be last minute sometimes and I hate that. What all are you doing for Mother's Day? Mom hasn't decided what she wants to do yet, but we usually go to brunch or something. We're having dinner at their place Saturday so maybe she'll have decided by then. I'll try to remember to take some yard pics if it's nice out.

In other BIG retail news... I just heard the shopping report on my local radio station and finally got word on the opening dates for H&M stores in Atlanta! Well I knew we were getting the ginormous one at Atlantic Station. It was set to be open already but we're still waiting. Then word came of a 2nd, smaller store at Northpoint Mall (in Alpharetta). And then today I found out MY mall is getting one! OMG! I will have an H&M 5 minutes from my closet! I will have to pop some advil and bring my ipod to drown out the obnoxious club music whenever I go, but I am SO excited! I thought I'd have to go into town to get my H&M fix, but now I'll have one in my backyard! Weeeeee!!!! I told y'all I'd make Buford hip. And for you west side ladies, Town Center is also getting one. Here are the dates...

Northpoint (Alpharetta) - opening next week - May 8!
Atlantic Station (Midtown) - opening June 13!
Mall of Georgia (Buford) - opening this fall
Town Center (Marietta) - opening this fall

Major excitement! It's crazy how we've been awaiting an H&M for so long and now they're like exploding here. Very cool. OK, so one last thing while I'm on a shopping tangent here... I've been pretty good with my shopping hiatus - though it is so hard with all the fun things this season! I did get a pair of sandals that I saw in a random Nordstrom email. It was love at first sight. HAD to have them and now I have to share them. I've had them a few weeks now and they are totally my shoes of the summer! I'm seriously tempted to buy a second pair for fear I will wear these puppies out! I'm loving the easy breezy feel of them... I'm usually in tall espadrilles or some kind of sandals with heels in the summer, so this is very big for me. They make me feel so carefree or something. I just love them! I like the look of the skinny metallic flip flops with dresses, but I think these have a little more pizazz, don't you? So fun!



Alright... gotta get some work done before the weekend! Hope y'all have a great one! Whether it's Derby Day plans, early Cinco de Mayo margarita fests, or just relaxing at home - have a good one!!! :-)

7 comments:

PreppyPeshke said...

H&M - I thought the Northpoint one was already open. I love the concept, but never find anything there.

I love that Jcrew bag. I am on restriction from there. I spent too much in there last month:)

Buford Betty said...

Preppy Peshke - I don't know, I rarely go to NP so maybe next week is the *official* grand opening?

As Cape Cod Turns said...

I want to somehow be a mother in your family! You are very, very thoughtful!!! And way to go, getting them out of the way a week early!

Have fun with H&M. I find it great for thinner people, but not so much for curvy people (yeah, that's right, like me). Great accessories though!

Unknown said...

I love that section of the mall, almost bought those shoes last weekend at Nordstrom! I especially love the "secret" parking lot outside of Pottery Barn and Banana...

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

You are seriously giving too much credit to H & M. I never find anything in there, Bestie. I would trade your Nordstrom or Trader Joes or Bloomies ANY DAY over my H & M!!!

Buford Betty said...

Well you must come with me next time b/c I always find lots of fun things there. Though I must say it entertains more of my mod/funk fetish than my preppy side. So perhaps there lies the diff? Hmmm... maybe so. :-)

Well I Do Declare said...

Target has those exact same shoes for $15. They come in pink, white, black and zebra. For $15, you can have as many pairs as you want :)