Monday, January 5, 2009

Lucky finally gets lucky.

I've mentioned my friend Lucky on here some... she's one of my best girls. She's my crazy Irish yankee friend with a sailor's mouth. Probably my funniest friend. Yes, most definitely. She's the best storyteller. And she always has stories. Or is it just that she can make an everyday happening sound so intriguing? Either way, she's hilarious. I've nagged her about starting a blog, but yeah that never happened. It would've probably been made up of dating horror stories (she's had so many she could write a book) and tales from her crazy family (some of the funniest stories ever). But I think her horror stories may finally be coming to an end...

So Lucky, our friend kuntry bride, and I are like three peas in a pod. We met at work about nine years ago. We've all moved our separate ways in our careers, but we'll always remember that first job and the best friends we scored from it. Kuntry bride and I were always attached - I started dating the hub my freshman year in college, and kuntry bride and her hubby had been together forever too. So Lucky, as long as we've known her, has been the single gal. She's always dated a lot. She even had a few that hung around for a while, but as she phrased it, they'd all ultimately "crash and burn." It got to where it seemed like everytime the three of us got together, Lucky had a new man to tell us about. But then, before long.... crash and burn. After this happened multiple times, she decided that kuntry bride and I were bad luck. She spills the beans to us and BAM... it's over. Well that, and taking the guy in question to eat at Six Feet Under. That was also cause for ultimate crash and burn. For whatever reason, after dining there, that guy would hit the road within days. And she frequents that place, so one of the wait staff would often come up and ask her, "so what happened to that guy..." She put the kabosh on taking guys there. BUT, after what she considered a necessary "waiting period," she told kuntry bride and me... that she's met someone.

This was... December 16th that she told us. She met this dude on e-harmony and things were moving fast. Long story short, she and her new man came up to our house last night for the official meet-n-greet and she had a honkin' huge diamond solitaire around her neck. Uh huh. He gave her a huge ass diamond solitaire for Christmas. He's already dropped the L-bomb on her and it freaked her out a bit. But they're already talking marriage and kids and houses and OMG. (Which means the three of us are talking weddings and bridesmaid dresses and flowers and wedding gowns.) He met her parents this past weekend and that is a HUGE deal for her. She's always been majorly, majorly reluctant to introduce any boys to the 'rents. I think they've only met one or two in her entire dating career. So the fact that she took that step - so soon - is mayjah.

So kuntry bride and I are just loving watching this all unfold - and most definitely, loving seeing our friend so happy. Lucky always joked that she'd be the eternal single gal. She always made light of the fact that she wanted a husband - she'd joke about how her eggs were drying up as we spoke. Her emails would often begin, "Have you found me a husband? Hurry up, fool!" So I truly hope this is what she's been looking for. Kuntry bride also spent some time with the new guy this past weekend and we both totally loved him. They "look" like they go together and they seem so darn comfortable with each other. Way more "at home" with each other than I've seen her around other guys. I am SO excited for her... I know she has wanted this forever. We'd often compare my wanting a baby and her wanting a husband. It's very much the same suffering. Wanting something so bad - something everyone around you seems to have or get so easily. Yet there's nothing you can do or control to make it happen for you. She's always used humor and faith to get by, but I know her heart's been hurting for a husband. So I'm praying this guy is her answer!

So I don't know if that's encouraging to you single ladies who feel like Mr. Right is never going to freaking show... or if you're like, whatever shut up. Because I would totally understand if you felt the latter. That's how I often feel when I hear those fertility success stories, you know? Not that I'm not totally happy for whomever, but it's like yeah, yeah, that means nothing for my situation. But either way, it's amazing how fast your life can change. Not even two months ago she was still joking about joining her aunt at the convent up in New York...

8 comments:

Sandra said...

What a great story to start our New Year! Congrats to your friend!!

Hollie and Janie said...

thanks for sharing! we single girls need a little encouragement every now and then! :)

Unknown said...

Hope everything goes well for Lucky! My cousin met someone off e-harmony and they just got engaged! Hope everything goes just as well for her :)

QueenBeeSwain said...

yes, thinking happy thoughts for Lucky, I'm the "Lucky" of my ladies, this little nugget did give me hope :) Like attracts like, you just have to exude positivity and have faith and patience!

kHm

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

Shut up, shut up! I am thrilled for Lucky!! I'll email her later bc that is just so super exciting!! So can the next one be me? Pretty please?!

Jill said...

Yeah for Lucky. And I met my hubby on e-Harmony (and were even in their commercials) in 2003. We just celebrated 5 years of marriage!

The Mrs. said...

I think that is so damn exciting!

Elizabeth said...

Yay for Lucky!